Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Again! It's Ted with two more of my stupid questions. I thought my radio was dead, but while removing the tank to check C1,C2 and C3, I apparently without knowing it at the time, disconnected to connections to the radio. After putting it all back together and turning on the ignition switch, the radio played beautifully for about 15 seconds then slowly lost sound and began a snowy sound almost like I tuned it off station. Question: Now the radio continues to play that snowy sound but no music. Does this sound like a corroded connection? and if so, Question: What would you recommend I use to clean these and any other connections, as I am going through the entire bike making sure connections are clean and making proper contact?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

contact cleaner works pretty well, if there's a lot of corrosion just set up a cup of vinegar and leave the connection in it over night (or more if it's really bad) and make sure you clean all the switches on the bars and trip computer too, those can cause some issues. Check the antenna too (there are two on my bike), you may have disconnected that somewhere.

·
751 Posts
imported post

I suggest you send the unit here www.sierra-mc.com Wayne usually steps in here But they can get you going & figure everything out !

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
I suggest you send the unit here http://www.sierra-mc.com Wayne usually steps in here But they can get you going & figure everything out !
It sounds a bit more like the connections on the Travel Computer than the radio itself. Try cleaning those againwith contact cleaner, make sure you have a good connection there, and try it again...:cool:

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have disconnected both connectors under the travel computer and each time I do it seems to play for a longer period of time before quitting. I turn the key off then back on and it will play again for a short time. Will do as suggested and clean the connector real good and hope for the best, although it almost acts like something is heating up and breaking down. On second thought, I guess a bad connection would cause that also. Thanks guys for the info and suggestions. I'll let you know what happens!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

have you gotten to the point to clean the ignition switch connector(C80) and C3,its also possible that the wires in the TC connector are loose...also any chance the radio station got moved off station?

CLR is good for cleaning connectors too

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

No, the radio station is set and remains on station, unless it's moving on it's own and with this bike anything seems possible! LOL! Haven't gotten to C80 or C3 yet but their on the list. I'm cleaning by number so I don't miss anything.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

Scooby slide the radio out and the plug on the back of the radio check the pins and the one on the bike after the exposure to the elements of 26 years junk goes down into behind the radio.Clean those pin and put die electric grease on it.The reason is I mentioned I have one pin that is keeping my intercom from working at times.I can pull the radio out and push it back in and it will work with the intercom.That maybe where all your problems are at.I'm gonna get in behind the light and take the mount and look and the pins real close.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Freddie will do that and hope for the best. If I leave the radio on, it will play for awhile, sometimes, then go to snow, then come back on and play fine then back off then on, anyway you get the picture, so maybe it is a bad contact. Anyway will do as you suggest and let you know what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Its been said here before NOT to use die electric grease on
small wire connectors. Actually builds up resistence.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

When spraying with contact cleaner, wiggle connectors together and apart multiple times spraying multiple times to do a thorough cleaning.....and they go in and out.....

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

STATUS UPDATE:

I have throughly cleaned the connectors under the TC and the plug-in connections at the back of the radio and the antenna connection. I now have AM and cassette working fine. However I still have no FM. All I'm getting is the sound you would get if the radio was "off station".

Also, I now have the CB working!

Am going to try another radio on my bike and see if it plays ok, which will answer the question if it is my radio or something else.

In the meantime I'll keep spanking the Gremlins, :lash: and hope for the best!

Thanks for all the help guys! Hope everyone has a great Christmas!
God Bless,
Ted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.