Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve owned and did a lot of work on an 1984 Gl1200, and now I’m considering getting the one year with fuel injection, the infamous 1985 Limited. Any experience with this particular model?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Have one that has been my retirement project for the past 5 years. Have toured solo and two up on it, round British Columbia and to Los Angeles and back. Have the external alt conversion, and a few other mods for personal reasons. Very dependable model. Weak point is the throttle position sensor, rest of the system is quite robust. Need to get the manuals for this model or you will have difficulty troubleshooting. Need the OEM service manual, electrical troubleshooting manual and the supplement (extremely important). Lots of issues with carb models, just a little different with the FI models.

Bought a second '85 Limited Edition that had been sitting in the owners back yard for four years. - location Ottawa Ontario. Took it to my brother's house in northern Ontario. Cleaned out the fuel system, put an external alternator on it, did a bit of maintenance, and rode it across Canada to its new home in Victoria, BC. Only issue, the TPS - replaced and good to go. No longer have this one, but enjoyed the experience of making it roadworthy and riding across Canada.

Recommend these FI bikes. Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
C'mon now!! Infamous??? Really???!!! I like mine!!!! Whadaya wanna know?? :cool::cool:
007 resize.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
Don - nice ride. Mine with the big sister:
Video Goldwings.jpg

Reactions: roscoepc

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,507 Posts
Hello, I’ve owned and did a lot of work on an 1984 Gl1200, and now I’m considering getting the one year with fuel injection, the infamous 1985 Limited. Any experience with this particular model?
Look up at your Avatar in the Top Right Corner of this page.
See the Red Dot?

click on the Avatar and select Conversations.
I left you a note.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I bought an 85 GL1200LTD brand new and rode it for 24 years before selling it. I think it was the most trouble free motorcycle I have owned. I really liked the fuel injection. No matter how long it had been sitting without starting or how cold it was, it would start instantly and was ready to ride whenever you are. Now that they are getting up in years, I'm sure parts availability is an issue. As was mentioned, the TPS is no longer available and it is a weak spot after all these years. There are workarounds to install a TPS for other vehicles but some modifications are required on it before you can fit them.

Reactions: roscoepc

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,507 Posts
Gorgeous looking bike, I once had an '86SEi and it was the same as you described.
Instant start no matter the conditions.
My son sold it when his job took over all of his free time :(

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,496 Posts
Yeah, they had an injected model in '86 as well. Pretty much the same bike.

I kind of agree with SprocketRocket about them.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
478 Posts
If you are getting one that has no problems, great. Even when these came out not very many Honda mechanics could diagnose problems with the system computer. I think that's why it took Honda 15 years to come out with another fuel injected bike.
As said above, parts are scarce and knowledgeable techs are even scarcer.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Mine would not start if I let it set in cold at work,I mean like 20 degrees,only transportion I had

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
If you are getting one that has no problems, great. Even when these came out not very many Honda mechanics could diagnose problems with the system computer. I think that's why it took Honda 15 years to come out with another fuel injected bike.
As said above, parts are scarce and knowledgeable techs are even scarcer.
It didn't make sense why they didn't keep on making fuel injected bikes. FI came out on Honda cars at the same time and they kept going with it. I took fuel injection classes in 81 for BMW and it seemed pretty simple to me.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
478 Posts
Maybe it would have added too much to the price of the bike. Who knows with Honda.

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
They sold all of them anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Well, I think there was about 5,500 Ltd Ed's built and at $10,000 list price, let's see here that's...... $55,000,000??!!!! :oops: I think they got their R&D money back...... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts