Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello guys I have a 85 sei runs great but every now and then it cuts out. No lights go out or anything like that it never quits. Replaced the fuel filter checked plug wires found some messed up cut them back now bike is 90% better but still cuts out. Checked the ECU no code lights. Please help im pulling my hair out and I dont have much to pull:whip:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

If it's an '85 it should be an LTD, if it's an SEI it should be an '86, that being said, sounds like a faulty kill switch or tilt sensor (I don't think it's called a tilt sensor, but that's what it does, and my understanding is it's unique to the injected wings), I'm not sure where that sensor is located, but some of the other guys on here should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Has it done that for awhile, or did you just get it? I have an '85 LTD (I believe the SEI was an '86), but it is basically the same system. Mine did the same thing. I replaced the plugs, and checked the spark, all good. Then I discovered that most of the vacuum lines and rubber hoses on the fuel injection were rotted and leaking. I spent about 2 days replacing all those, and then it ran fine. You might also check the fuel filter and the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

my bet is on vacum lines

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok ya it just started it last week it would miss so bad it would almost snap your neck. Replaced the fuel filter then it was better but still there not as bad clipped the spark plug wires and now better. ok i will check the vac lines THANKS:RTFM:

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

use some wd40 or brake cleaner in the spray can to find vacum leaks

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

route66 wrote:
Hello guys I have a 85 sei runs great but every now and then it cuts out. No lights go out or anything like that it never quits...
Not sure what you are saying by this...Are you saying bike stops running and won't restart? Bie quits running and will restart? Bike starts to run poorly intermittent?...

Please clarify

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

have you checked the "map" sensors? they are located under the fuse box, open the false tank and remove the fuse block, just pull up on it, its on a spring mount, under it you should see a couple devises with wires connected to them and a hose going to each, check that they are pluged in and the hoses are on them and that they have vacum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.