Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the carbs on the 1200 about three years ago, but found another 1500, so the 1200 sat in the storage building until two weeks ago. It has been run and ridden on occasion, but not enough to keep the battery up.

It cranks easily without choke, but the engine will not rev up without the choke. I resynced the carbs with a set of gauges. It was perfect yesterday evening when I put it up.

This morning it was doing the same thing again. It starts instantly, but It pops and spits, but wont get out of its own way without the choke. I put the gauges on again and tweeked it a little. I shut it off for a couple of hours. When I started it back up, back to zero again.

HELP!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Item 1) I rebuilt the carbs on the 1200 about three years ago, but found another 1500, so the 1200 sat in the storage building until two weeks ago. It has been run and ridden on occasion, but not enough to keep the battery up.

It cranks easily without choke, but the engine will not rev up without the choke. I resynced the carbs with a set of gauges. It was perfect yesterday evening when I put it up.

This morning it was doing the same thing again. It starts instantly, but It pops and spits, but wont get out of its own way without the choke. I put the gauges on again and tweeked it a little. I shut it off for a couple of hours. When I started it back up, back to zero again.

HELP!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!
Item 2) Almost forgot to tell this. When I went down the road, I noticed that when the engine was unloaded, it sounded like a cylinder was dropping out. It almost sounded and felt like a twin. When I rolled the throttle on and loaded the engine back up, the cylinder picked right up. This was happening right alongside the problem in "item 1". Any thoughts out there??

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Very common issue for bikes that sit extended periods of time. The first thing I would do is try fresh gas, That might be the issue but don't bet too much on it.
It is common for the gas that sits in the low speed circuit to varnish. Before disassembling and cleaning I would try a whole can of Seafoam in half a tank of gas. Then run the entire tank out. Repeat until better or no improvement is noticed.

·
Administrator
25,338 Posts
You can't cure a plugged passage problem by synching the carbs, that is to make it idle smooth and run smooth just off idle.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it looks like I'm going to have to go back through the carbs again.
I was hoping someone would have another suggestion. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Synching does nothing to cure dirty carbs or stale fuel, nothing. I venture to say 90% of synch jobs are a waste of time and very likely a mask of real issues.

My '85 would act up similarly after a layup, but within a few miles and some fresh gas, always come around to near perfect as ever.

Seafoam is good stuff too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts