Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike developed a rattle around the timing belt area that was only noticeable at low speeds and about 2500RPM (ie. moving around the parking lot) or when stopped and revving to 3000-3500 RPM.

The sound was roughly like what you might hear if you put a nut into a vibrating bowl (such as you'd use to clean cartridge brass). You didn't need to work to hear it, other than get the conditions right.

I've got the timing belt cover off (had to remove the radiator to reach this point-- it's part of my head gasket replacement project), but haven't found anything that seems loose. I'm going to be replacing the timing belts anyway, but here's my real question:

How can I figure out what is rattling while I have everything opened up? According to my manual, removing the radiator is a required step to even remove the belt covers.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

you could put the rad back on without the covers and run it and see if you can hear it, have you checked out the belt tensioners

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

Are you sure the rattle isn't coming from the valve cover area? I've heard the valve lifters can stick and make noises.

BTW if you are replacing your timing belts, you timed it just right for this new timing belts video they put up today. It might help you along the way.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I had a 1978 GL1000 that developed a "rattle".
Turns out that the aluminum double belt pulley on the crankshaft started to wobble at the keyway. A new pulley fixed the problem.
Not sure this could be your problem or not, just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

tricky wrote:
you could put the rad back on without the covers and run it and see if you can hear it, have you checked out the belt tensioners
Hi Tricky, as I was digging in and taking things apart, I do feel that the belts were too loose. One of the belt tensioners (right side) does seem to have been a bit stuck, and on the top part of the tensioner where it was in contact with the belt there seems to be a little bit of built up hard rubber (or something). There's nothing indicating that that residue actually came from this belt, but I thought I'd note it just the same.

Both tensioners seem to spin just fine now, so I'm thinking that the residue just happened to have been sticking to the belt and that's why it wouldn't spin (I was trying to spin it in place before the belt came off).

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for this video-- I'm actually going down all the way to my cam shaft in order to replace my head gasket, but I watched the video and feel better now. He noted in the video that the right cam pulley shifted when the belt was removed, and that's exactly what happened to me.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

KC9KAS wrote:
I had a 1978 GL1000 that developed a "rattle".
Turns out that the aluminum double belt pulley on the crankshaft started to wobble at the keyway. A new pulley fixed the problem.
Not sure this could be your problem or not, just a suggestion.
Hmm, I haven't checked this yet. How significant was the wobble, and how did you know that the wobble was bad enough that you had to replace it?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I couldn't find the problem...finally took it to a HONDA dealer and they found the problem. The pulley wobbled and the tapered hole was out of round and the key-way worn. It hadn't effected the timing much, so it still ran OK, but in time the timing would have been off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.