Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just picked up a rolling basket. Not too bad of a bike for a few hundred bucks. PO claims head gasket and stator is bad. It will start but the right side cylinders are dead. Looking forward to tackling this job soon and will be bugging the crap out of you all. Thanks

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

lots of places to start with this one.... did he say how he thought those things were true? but if it is just those things, a repairable bike (most likely) there is also a 1200 specific forum that some of us are on, and nakedgoldwings which focuses early wings as well... Lots of great advice on all three sites

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

He says he was losing coolant and it was overheating, but there were no leaks to the ground. White smoke in the exhaust, more so on the right side which doesn't seem to be firing. I only ran if for a few minutes and it was about 8 degrees out so it was kind of hard to get an impression of how it is really running. He thinks the stator is bad, because the battery isn't charging. I have done some searches here and there are a few things I should check before settling on the stator theory.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

that certainly sounds like a right sided head gasket.... the question will be whether there is damage to the head from it, or, let us hope not, damage to the block...

on the stator.... first of all do a search on "three yellow wires" long and short, check the plug from the stator to the wiring harness, if not done, cut the wires and solder them togther, the plug is a real weak link... battery not charging.... first of all, make sure thery i good. if this bike has sat, I would just go ahead and replace it

at this point I would go ahead and replace the timing belts before you porceed as well. there is a good "how-to" on www.nakedgoldwings.com for this. the how to is based on a 1000, but is the same princeple on the 1200

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

You got it running at 8 degrees, on only 2 cylinders? !! You have better luck than I do. That'll be a great winter project, for sure.

You'd want to look at the 3 yellow wires connector at front of battery, and the connector under faux tank, for starters.

There's tons of good info in the search box. It's a pretty good search engine, compared to some sites.

Good luck on the engine job. And charging problem.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from another '85 owner. I have an interstate and have so far enjoyed close to 40,000 miles since I got it two years ago.

Definitely check the three yellow wire plug. Stators are a real issue with the 1200's but sometimes it's something different that the stator.

We also have an 86I, my son in law and daughter's bike, and it took us forever to figure out the charging problems. We were determined that it had to be the stator and then got a heads up from a mechanic at the local Honda dealer and was able to fix it.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions, the only stupid ones are the ones you don't ask.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the repllies. I got the bike started in 8 degrees because I had it hooked to a car batter...lol. Probably not advisable but it worked. I live in central Illinois near Springfield. I'll try and fill that stuff out now. Good advice on the stator wires. I'm a little concerned about damage from overheating but I don't see any fluid leaking, so I am hoping its just a head gasket. I will dig into that this weekend.

I have a 1986 BMW 524 Trubo Diesel that popped a waterpump hose and I have to tackle that as soon as it warms up a bit. We are in the midst of a cold snap and I don't have room in the garage for the BMW (it was all I could do to get the Wing in). I hate crawling around and under cars outside in weather this cold. When I was younger I wouldn't hesitate but I'm getting soft thesedays.

Rick

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I hear ya! Just getting to be a wus. :D

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Fantastic project to tackle. If you need help with parts I know an excellent parts guy with tons of parts and if you need any advice feel free ask. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

If it is the stator, check out the Poorboy conversion kit. Just did it on my LTD and seems to be working great.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Yeh, I came across the poorboy while doing the search. Seems like a good alternative to pulling the engine. I got plenty of spare alternaters laying around waiting for copper prices to go back up.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

C'mon!! Pulling the engine:

#1 - isn't as bad as you think
#2 - gives you a good opportunity to find other areas of neglect before THEY find you
#3 - gives you that special feeling of accomplishment.

"Don't be a Wussie" :D

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
C'mon!! Pulling the engine:

#1 - isn't as bad as you think
#2 - gives you a good opportunity to find other areas of neglect before THEY find you
#3 - gives you that special feeling of accomplishment.

"Don't be a Wussie" :D
think of it as ZEN..... you become one with your bike

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hmm it has been a while since I have taken on anything resembling a challenge.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the BEST Dang Goldwing Forum in the Universe !

I am looking forward to following your progress!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Steve-O

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

1968 Triumph Bonneville Hardtail? Was that a special? Mine has springs.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Yeh it was special order for those who like physical abuse. I can barely ride that thing.

·
Banned
89 Posts
imported post

sounds like the guy would be way better off picking up a used motor, sure would delete the exsiting problems and hopefully a fresh start

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.