Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a limited edition 85 wing trike and the tail lights don't work. I have checked fuses, ect. The dashboard tail/stop light waring light doesn't light either. The brake and turn signals all work as should. My repair manual keeps pointing me towards the stoplight/taillight sensor. I don't know if this could be my problem, and if it is where I would find one. Any help appreciated. Also any one know where I could find production numbers for the limied edition. I just bought this trike and it looks like I may also have so air suspenion problems or igorance in how to make it work. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Since it's a trike, all bets are off. There's no way for us to see what's been modified.
When you turn the key "on", bike not running, the tail lamp warning should be lit as part of a self test. If it doesn't, I'd suspect the sensor has been by-passed. The original location is aft of the battery behind the starter solenoid. See if you can find it and report back.

·
Administrator
28,086 Posts
See if they work with the key in the park position. The trunk lights should work even if the tail light sensor is bad.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I have a limited edition 85 wing trike and the tail lights don't work. I have checked fuses, ect. The dashboard tail/stop light waring light doesn't light either. The brake and turn signals all work as should. My repair manual keeps pointing me towards the stoplight/taillight sensor. I don't know if this could be my problem, and if it is where I would find one. Any help appreciated. Also any one know where I could find production numbers for the limied edition. I just bought this trike and it looks like I may also have so air suspenion problems or igorance in how to make it work. Thanks
Since its a trike have the lights been modified ? Do you have trunk lights and the 2 lower brake lights or has that all been changed ? The sensor can be bypassed, and check and see what type of bulbs you have in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally got back out to the shop. I found what I think is the sensor, ablack box about 1 1/2 by 2 3/4 inches with a 7 pin plug, wires all look good so should I replace sensor before doing anything else. Do you know can you still get this part from dealer. I guess can call tomorrow. Any other suggestions appreciated. Is there any way to test sensor. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Unplug the sensor. Check for voltage on the brown wire. There are two, but only one should have power.(Key on) If you find voltage, simply jumper the brown power source to the other brown wire and see if the tail lights work. If they do, the sensor is faulty. If they don't, you can isolate the problem to the rear of the bike.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
If the sensor is bad you can bypass it the only reason for the sensor is to light up the taillight out bulb in your dash, like the above post said jump the 2 brown wires in the plug if you get taillights then the sensor is bad but like Dave said the sensor only works for the bottom 2 lights not the trunk lights, you could have a bad relay and you can easily test that or even just gummed up dirty switches. I think if you can you should post a picture of the back end of your trike so we can see what you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try to jumper the brown leads when I have time. Going be out of town for a few days. The lights in the trunk don't work either. Can sensor be bypassed if I can't find one. Thanks Will let you know later this week what I find

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a few minutes awhile go and headed back to shop. I jumpered the browns together as suggested. The bottom lights did come on. I still had no lights in trunk. If I put a permanent jumper in will it affect anything else besides the dash warning light. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Bypassing the sensor is perfectly acceptable. It's only a warning device. Again, you have a trike, so the wiring may not be anywhere close to stock. Remove the seat. You should find a THREE wire connector just off the shock supports that feeds the trunk lights.
Brown, green, and green/yellow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bypassed the sensor today cutting brown wires on back side of plug and soldering together. Lights work perfect. Thanks to everyone who responded, I think I have stumbled upon a world of knowledge here and its free. What more can you ask for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
85 wing ltd instrument cluster lights

I am working on a 1985 limited with digital dash. I finally got the tailights working by bypassing the sensor but now my instrument panel lights don't work. Don't know whether they were working in first place though. Any thoughts or suggestions. How do I get to lights in dash? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,531 Posts
According to my '85 Electrical Troubleshooting manual, check fuse #3, 15amp in the fuse relay box. It might be as simple as that.....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Listen to roscoe man... you don't wanna pull that cluster unless you HAVE to... the whole upper fairing has to come appart... mirrors, speakers, windshield trim, windshield, bezel, stereo bracket, and if you're lucky you MIGHT be able to get to the two nuts just above the headlight that holds the cluster in... mine is apart right now, but I'm not bitter at all :)

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Kevin,
Why is your bike apart?
I'm pretty good at dismantling and reassembling a GL12, if you need some help.
Well, originally I had it apart to track down my "cold weather" cluster glitch, but while I was in there I decided to do something smart that turned out pretty dumb... so then I was working on some "modifications" ;). But then as I got ready to put it back together I decided the time had finally come to deal with that nasty, busted up fairing... and that may be the worst decision I've made yet because the damage is FAR more extensive than I thought. So yeah, long and short of it is the entire upper portion and right side of the fairing are completely dismantled and I've used up three dremel wheels and about half a can of ABS cement so far.

I'll be doing a new thread on it soon... don't wanna hi-jack this guy's thread... but until then you can always vote in my pole to decide what color to use :cheesygrin:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ly-fixing-gl1200ltd-fairing-color-advice.html

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I am working on a 1985 limited with digital dash. I finally got the tailights working by bypassing the sensor but now my instrument panel lights don't work. Don't know whether they were working in first place though. Any thoughts or suggestions. How do I get to lights in dash? Thanks
I've merged your two threads into one as they are related.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I bypassed the sensor today cutting brown wires on back side of plug and soldering together. Lights work perfect. Thanks to everyone who responded, I think I have stumbled upon a world of knowledge here and its free. What more can you ask for?
My '86 Aspy has a digital dash. There are very few "illumination" bulbs for the dash. Lighting is provided by two bulbs over the top of the display. Maybe Ros will jump in with his 4 cents (you can never shut him up). I would expect the LTD/SEI dash would be similar.
If you're talking about warning lamps, that's a different ball game.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.