Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my first goldwing and have read through some forums trying to find the same situation but dont seem the same as the rest...

So here it goes...

I do not currently have a battery hooked into the bike, I took a car charger and hooked it up to a car battery then using jumper cables I hooked them black to black terminal wire and red to the red... I hit the start button (In neutral, switch in run position) I hear what sounds like 2 clicks... One from the solenoid and one from I believe the starter. (My best guess) I am only getting those 2 clicks with no turnover at all. Seems its not even trying.

I just got the bike and was told it has been sitting for 8 years but was drove in under its own power and at that time had no starting issues.

I have not dealt with bikes much, also have me a nighthawk 650 but have never had an issue out of it so any advice or guidance would be awesome.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That would suggest either solenoid is not making good contact or starter brushes same. If you have a mutimeter check for 12v at solenoid input and then output when button pushed.

Now dont want to be rude but long distance electrical diagnosis is THE most difficult problem to sort so you need to do the test(s) asked for and report results accurately. A lot of people unused to electrical problems wander off course trying to test all sorts of things and mis reading results which just confuses things.
Also remember that this is an international forum and i,for one, am in UK in a completely different time zone so answers can take a while.
Cheers
Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok if it makes any difference, I also tried the jumping a wire from battery straight to the post on the solenoid and it just clicked as well. No dimming of lights. Then tried to hit the starter with the positive jumper cable just for it to do the same thing, click with no turnover and again no lights dim.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Might help to make sure the engine will actually turn. Put it on the center stand, rock the rear wheel as you shift it to high gear then try turning the engine with the rear wheel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Use a higher gear to try to move the engine with the wheel or turn the from the access to the alternator bolt.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Under a more through examination I found that the motor is seized. I pulled the spark plugs out and 3 out of 4 had water in them.

Going to take the steps of TRYING to get it to free up. Dumping WD40 or PB Blaster down into the cylinders and see what happens. I'm hoping for the best, but might have just bought me a huge paper weight. 🤷

Will update once I know more.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
I bought an 1100 years ago that had been sitting outside for a long time with the carbs missing. Needless to say it was full of water. When I unloaded it I pulled the plugs, put it in high gear and rocked it back & forth and it freed up pretty easy.

Reactions: GreaseMonkey81

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought an 1100 years ago that had been sitting outside for a long time with the carbs missing. Needless to say it was full of water. When I unloaded it I pulled the plugs, put it in high gear and rocked it back & forth and it freed up pretty easy.
Did you use any kind of penetrating oil?

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Did you use any kind of penetrating oil?
Nope, as I said, right off the trailer. I bought another one at the same time that didn't have water in it and had a terrible time getting it freed up. Tried about every kind of lubricant known, brake fluid finally did it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having owned over 150 motorcycles over the years (most of them crash bikes that sat outside in rain/snow) I have always used diesel fuel mixed w/ Marvel Mystery Oil 50/50, let it sit overnight and Usually it will free up an engine. Not always. just saying. michel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like Bryanlj said its very hard to help solve a problem when you don't have the history of the bike. Reminds me of a story from a friend of mine. He calls me up in the spring telling me that the bike will not turn over. He said it was running just fine in the fall when he put it away. As it turns out all he did to put it away for the winter was just put a blanket over it for the winter storage. And during the winter some little 4 legged critters made a home in one of the cylinders. And after a few hrs of vacuuming out their home, the bike came to life.
The moral of the story is, history can help solve some the issues when working on a motor vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts