Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The crankshaft angle sensor is not available from Honda anymore so has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? I am in need of one if somebody can help me. Is there something that can be modified to work?

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

Another member in a recent post says he modified one from a 1500.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

the there's Ebay, however I just did a quick search and didn't see any for the GL1200's

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

PM Iraqi Ram-he's been parting out an LTD or place a post in the for sale/wanted forum. Good Luck.
P.S. Are u certain that's the issue?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes the ECU under the trunk has the W light on solid and the #3 and #0 lights are flashing. According to Honda diagnostics it is the crankshaft angle sensor. I checked it with ohm meter and it is open, so I'm badly in need of one.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

nagger007 wrote:
Yes the ECU under the trunk has the W light on solid and the #3 and #0 lights are flashing. According to Honda diagnostics it is the crankshaft angle sensor. I checked it with ohm meter and it is open, so I'm badly in need of one.
Double check your faults. I have the Honda ETM for the 86 SEi which is likely the same for the LTD. The faults you listed indicate a faulty Engine Speed or NS sensor which is located behind the timing cover. The wiring comes out of the top of the timing cover slightly to right side (as sitting on bike).

Crankshaft angle sensors GL and GR are located on r/h rear cylinder head at end of camshaft under 4 bolt cover.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have had good luck with Whiteys Classic Wings for LTD parts. And unlike eBay, all the parts I have ordered from there have been good.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
nagger007 wrote:
Double check your faults. I have the Honda ETM for the 86 SEi which is likely the same for the LTD. The faults you listed indicate a faulty Engine Speed or NS sensor which is located behind the timing cover. The wiring comes out of the top of the timing cover slightly to right side (as sitting on bike).

Crankshaft angle sensors GL and GR are located on r/h rear cylinder head at end of camshaft under 4 bolt cover.
Be careful not confuse component names. The Ns sensor is the crank position sensor. It references engine speed. The GL and GR sensors are "cam" position sensors. I believe nagger007 has it correct. Symantics(?) in fuel injection can be confusing at times.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
nagger007 wrote:

Be careful not confuse component names. The Ns sensor is the crank position sensor. It references engine speed. The GL and GR sensors are "cam" position sensors. I believe nagger007 has it correct. Symantics(?) in fuel injection can be confusing at times.
Semantics yes indeed. However,I am not confusing them GL. The ETM specifically -in the self diagnostic section - lists that code(the one in his 1st post)asfaultyEngine Speed (NS) sensorverbatim which-on the fuelies issimilarto the pulse generators only there is one not two under the timing cover.

Further the same section lists the GL and GR sensors as "Crankshaft Angle Sensors L/R" also verbatim. In this section Crankshaft Angle sensoris synonomous with cam angle sensor.

The point is his problem lies with the single sensor under the timing cover or it's related wiring and not with either sensors mounted at the rear of the r/h camshaft. Again the dealie under the timing cover is the speed sensor not an angle sensor of any kind. Just looking at either tells the tale. The NS or speed sensor's target has multiple targets all the same. The crank(cam) angle sensors have an elliptical cam so engine position can be determined.

Again...semantics

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

We're both on the same page.

My LTD supplement describes them as cam position sensors. Which in reality, is what they are. I work in the industry with fuel injection and every "sensor" imagineable. I can't tell you the number of times customers install the wrong parts thinking a cam sensor is a crank sensor and vise versa.

I keep them seperate by trying to remember I don't have a right and left crankshaft!

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks glhonda, the crankshaft angle NS sensor which is also called a speed sensor is located behind the right timing cover. I just received a printout directly from Honda and they are showing me this sensor for the ECU code that I have. It is a single sensor. I would just like to know if there is any available or if someone has found a substitute.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dave0430 can you help me find where this person may have modified this part and what he used , this could be a bike saver.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

PM sent.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Do you have the LTD running again? I got a double sensor for a standard wing and filet out the wiring and now have two sensors. I put the one on that has the yellow and white wires and the bike runs great, I have a spare now as well.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hey gmoney, I have the bike running great now, I found a used sensor in the US that is for this bike at a big price. Was any brackets modified on the sensor that was used from a standard wing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.