Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1985 gw kickstand

942 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CrystalPistol 
#1 ·
Hi another dumb and dumber question my side kickstand is holding my bike at about 35deg could fall. I adjusted the nut holding the stand to bike still no difference Spring looks good... hmmmm.

#2 ·
If it is the OEM (stock) stand, AND there are no bends/warps/defects consider putting down a 2X4 block of wood under the stand where you park it. 35 degrees sounds like too radical of a lean. I'd hate to have to park the bike with the kickstand on the curb and the bike on the road everywhere I park, , , ,

Forgive me for not knowing more about the '85, , ,one of the experts will be along shortly for sure, ,

#3 ·
I never measured my '85s angle of dangle, but if it looks to be too much, inspect the left side lower frame tube to which the side stand is attached. That tube is removable and is open to moisture at each end. It has been known to rust inside, get weak, and lead to excess leaning.

I had read several postings 20+ years ago, enough that when I had my '85's off to refurbish the starter, that as a preventative step, I sealed it both ends with big glob of RTV from a caulk type tube that was gonna dry up anyway. I also poured a bit of old axle lube in the tube, prior to sealing. Never leaked any so I know it was still in there.

Here are a couple photos, I may have had rear shocks pumped up higher in the one with big bear.

Attachments

#9 ·
If it was good, no rust, sound in other words and mine was in a state of collapse, be worth it to me at just $90 … especially if I had no way to repair mine.

I found just this one ... but it's more. https://www.ebay.com/itm/84-87-GL12...AOSwAVldL2Jy:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!24435!US!-1

I searched for " GL1200 Frame ", found a bunch of frames, many missing the left side lower rail or tube, and all several hundred $$. One might fix a rusted out one, but how bad is the rust inside there? Without a heavy duty tube bender and jig, not so easy to make one either. I'd jump on one in the $100 range if I needed one. Located in Elizabethville, Pennsylvania, …. Looks good in the pictures too. It is the only part of the frame open to the elements and rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.