Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
imported post

The kid needs to do his research a little better. A left side cover to be bought on eBay for $20-$50 haven't seen one sell that cheap. Fuel pump for $50 (not for a limited). To bad someone changed the color, guess that is what makes that one so Rare (wrong color, not original)

Good luck to him

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the wrong colour that quickly.

Although I agree that MOST 1985 GL-1200 LTDs are done in Sunflash Gold Metallic with Valiant Brown Metallic, I have seen more than one 1985 Limited in this paint scheme.

I do not know the names of the paint, but this is not my first introduction to the colour on an 85 Limited.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Okay......

I just looked at the photos. I WONDERED why this bike looked familiar.

Two weeks ago - I looked at this bike on a craigslist ad. It was at a towing salvage yard in Chula Vista, CA, and had come in from Palm Springs on a "Father Joe" vehicle donation. (A local Charity).

It's asking price was around $700, or best offer. I took one look at it and walked away.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Wow. That looks mighty rough. I've never seen that paint scheme, but it does look like a factory Honda job. I bought a 1500 that sort of ran cheaper than the reserve on that.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

Definitely not a factory paint job. Besides the color look at the front fender closeup. the pinstripe comes to a 90 deg. corner. The factory decals were always rounded.

I do believe that it is Honda colors though. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to die all the plastic and vinyl wine color.

I might give $1 for it, but if he gets 2400 Haha.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
imported post

From all the research I have found the 85 Limited ONLY came in the Gold and Brown combination and the 86 SEi was the Pearl white. Any other colors other than that for these two models was a repaint not the factory. Unless someone else out there has any other information on these two.

Just my 2 cents worth and a lot of research on this model bike.

:action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

FlashGordon wrote:
From all the research I have found the 85 Limited ONLY came in the Gold and Brown combination and the 86 SEi was the Pearl white. Any other colors other than that for these two models was a repaint not the factory. Unless someone else out there has any other information on these two.

Just my 2 cents worth and a lot of research on this model bike.

:action::action::action::action:
I have a copy of the original Cycle Mag review and you are correct; the 85 LTD came only in the Gold & Brown. HTH

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
imported post

Flash is correct. This is not a Limited Edition. Gold and light tan or brown ONLY. Only year that color scheme was used!!!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Ya this is not a limited edition. The colour was gold & brown and hadan LCD map and other cluster on the false tank to-gether. To my knowledge this paint is not even coloursof Hondas either. This paint has been re-done in the past.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

1985 GL 1200 Limited may be hiding under that spray paint.Looks like an attempt to match the Wineberry color. Look at the photos of any of the plastic and see the runs. Fuel pump on right side, pressure regulator on injector rail. Serial number is in the Limited Edition California model. (emissions canister, etc.) per Honda---

GL1200L AC (85) MOTORCYCLE, USA, VIN# 1HFSC147-FA109309 TO 1HFSC147-FA116616

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Being that I have seen this bike first hand, I can attest it was a Limited.

I was fooled by a decent repaint that perhaps it was an unknown factory colour.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Yeah it's a LTD is disguise. Someone really did a number on the paint, even down to the handle bar trim and ignition switch cover, but it definately was a LTD when it rolled out of the showroom.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

oops, double post, but since I'm here, I hope that the guy selling it is not related to anyone here, cause he's a ##%%*. Put in your own adjective, noun, whatever.....

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Limited versuses Special color differences

I bought this 1985 Goldwing ( Gold & Brown) for $1500, mileage was 56K. It had been sitting in a garage since 2005, only thing wrong was bad wiring (stator and regulator connectors), the FUEL LIGHT was on all the time, and the cold start/warm up cycle was inoperative. I am looking for parts, a (Fuel Injection control unit, or whatever its correct name) is for this bike.

I had another bike already, a 1985 (Gold & Brown), the guy I bought it from, tells me it is a Special, it is (Gold & Brown). Before I put it on Ebay I tried to determine, was it a Special or a Limited, and gave up, listed it and I was quickly advised, by numerous people the Special was White, not Gold & Brown. So I agree with you.

What I want to know; was the Limited and Special both fuel injected? Also, is the only difference between them the paint??

Finally, back to the real problem, HOW DO I GET RID OF THAT DAM LIGHT THAT IS ON ALL THE TIME, and get my idle speed back to normal?? Just so everyone knows I drove this bike over 3 thousand miles last year. Besides the light, the bike ran fast all the time, like it was in cold start mode. All I did was back off the throttle body plate mechanically, to reduce the idle from 2800 RPM down to a 1000RPM I will be checking the temperature sending unit for the Fule Injection Control module, to insure it is getting the right temperature signal. I am looking for spare parts and want to get a different Electronic Fuel Injection control module (FICM).

Anybody got some ideas on fixing these problems. I have checked all air lines and dismantled and cleaned the air control valve that controls the fast idle circuit.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
If you are asking a question to try to fix this bike and not selling it, start a new post in the technical section.
selling this bike???, this is the for sale section.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.