Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Goldwing - Standard
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great buddy! Thank you for getting back. I think I'm close to a resolution. I'll be posting shortly.

Thanks Again,
Colin
Hey Pure Texas and Dennis,

Here's where I am. I went out this morning and looked at my right mounted antenna bracket. I'm going to try to attach 4 pictures. Picture 0984 shows the angle. Dennis, you were right! The long (12-1/2") rectangular bracket "is" vertical. The round part where the antenna mounts is angled back. Pure Texas, you were right! The rectangular bracket goes in front of the mount. As soon as I get through this email I'm going to buy the left antenna mount on eBay that, you, Dennis, sent me the link to. Even if the bracket is angled wrong I can hack saw it off and have a welder reposition the round antenna mount. The reason for this particular mount is so that I can put a thick CB antenna to mount an American flag. I had a flag on my thin antenna (right side), but the antenna eventually fatigued and snapped in half. I couldn't find the flag and it was a good flag. When I get my left mounted bracket I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Hey, one other question. I've noticed that my chrome hardware that mounts the travel trunk has really rusted. And it's really not that exposed. Almost as if electrolysis took place on the chrome. Have you guys experienced that?

Thanks to all who have helped me out, but especially Dennis and Pure Texas! I think there's just something very special about Gold Wing people. People who extend themselves! Very special.

Thanks Again,
Colin Young
(7 miles west of Boston)

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 Goldwing - Standard
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey Pure Texas and Dennis,

Here's where I am. I went out this morning and looked at my right mounted antenna bracket. I'm going to try to attach 4 pictures. Picture 0984 shows the angle. Dennis, you were right! The long (12-1/2") rectangular bracket "is" vertical. The round part where the antenna mounts is angled back. Pure Texas, you were right! The rectangular bracket goes in front of the mount. As soon as I get through this email I'm going to buy the left antenna mount on eBay that, you, Dennis, sent me the link to. Even if the bracket is angled wrong I can hack saw it off and have a welder reposition the round antenna mount. The reason for this particular mount is so that I can put a thick CB antenna to mount an American flag. I had a flag on my thin antenna (right side), but the antenna eventually fatigued and snapped in half. I couldn't find the flag and it was a good flag. When I get my left mounted bracket I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Hey, one other question. I've noticed that my chrome hardware that mounts the travel trunk has really rusted. And it's really not that exposed. Almost as if electrolysis took place on the chrome. Have you guys experienced that?

Thanks to all who have helped me out, but especially Dennis and Pure Texas! I think there's just something very special about Gold Wing people. People who extend themselves! Very special.

Thanks Again,
Colin Young
(7 miles west of Boston)
Ordered! Arrives 6/21/22. Stay tuned! Thanks a million.
Colin

·
Registered
1980 Goldwing - Standard
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Mounted left side and angled backwards is what I'm looking for. Dennis, I'm going to put my faith in your words and order this bracket from ebay.

Denis,

I think you and I are on the same page. If the bracket is mounted on the left side, I want the antenna to lean toward the back of my bike. I just went to my service manual, under Accessories, but the drawing of the antenna mount is not shown clearly enough. If my memory serves me correct and looking at the right side of my bike, I thought the mounting part leaned toward the front while the antenna part leaned toward the rear. So, almost like 2 opposing angles. It's nearly 12 am in Boston right now. But, tomorrow I'll go out and look at my right side mounted antenna and hopefully get back to you tomorrow. Thank you for your patience and help!

Much Appreciated!
Colin
Hi Denis,

I received my antenna mount today. You were spot on! It's for the left side. And it's in decent shape. Now I just have to fool around with how I'm going to mount my 3/8" fiberglass antenna to it Would you be willing to give me your mailing address on this site?. Or you could call my land-line voice mail at 781-894-1955 and leave it there. You just have to speak slow and annunciate your words. I'd appreciate it. The seller never got back to me on whether it was right or left side. But, with your insight it worked out.

Thanks Again!
Colin Young

21 - 24 of 24 Posts