Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently bought this bike and when it gets to operating temperature, it shuts itself down. Has new battery, fuel pump and filter but think it might be something electrical. I can fix about anything but am not familiar with working on bikes. If it's idling, it will shut off after about 10-11 minutes. When it shuts itself off, all guages are working and light still on. Just the engine shuts down. If it sets for 20-30 minutes, it will start up but only run about 10 minutes before shutting down once again. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

sounds like your coils are bad... Bad ones will leak when they get hot..

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Since I'm new to a Goldwing, I don't know where the coils are or how to get to them. Am ordering service manual since previous owner didn't have one. Nothing like being stumped to feel stupid.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

They are very simple to learn.. I can send you a electronic manual if you like. pm me your email address. also coils are in front under the faux tank (fake tank). You should se a set of them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,763 Posts
imported post

Sounds like classic pulse generator failure. They are under the timing belt cover on that bike.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Sounds like classic pulse generator failure. They are under the timing belt cover on that bike.
I agree.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Was it a spudder and die or a quick die?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Dennis, but wasn't the pulse generator located somewhere else on the '84 models?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I don't see any mention of a model year in his posting nor his profile.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The thread heading is "85 Interstate"

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Sorry, Don't know how I missed that.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

It was a quick die.....every time! This '85 Interstate had sat in the previous owner's garage for two years and not rode, but it runs good for those 10-12 minutes before dieing quickly. I really would like to get this bike running but am frustrated with the source of the problem. Thankfully, I have a Shadow to help with the pain.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Sorry Bobby, new to this kind of thing and to a computer! My bike is an '85 Interstate. Thought I had that in my profile.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Dennis is right. Classic pulse generator failure. And yes, on an '85 they're behind the t-belt covers. I bought a set last year, @80 bucks if I remember. There is an ohm test for them in the new manual you just ordered. Since yours fail when hot, do the test after applying some heat from a hair dryer. You're going to have to remove the belt(s) to replace them. Might as well invest in new belts while you're there.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Larry Mc wrote:
Since I'm new to a Goldwing, I don't know where the coils are or how to get to them. Am ordering service manual since previous owner didn't have one. Nothing like being stumped to feel stupid.:ROFL:
If being stumped and finding the problem was a simple obvious fix makes you stupid...........

move over, çause the room is gonna get REAL crowded. :congrats::congrats::congrats:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

there is two coils and two pulse generators, each fires two cylinders. sometimes if they give trouble only two cylinders are effected. in order for all four cylinders to be giving trouble i would suspect the wiring going to the units. the pulse gen. have a plastic plug connection that can give problems. all that being said some of those old bikes had ignition switch problems. i have a 84 that had the same problem it was the ignition switch. theres some information out on how to repair the switch, you would have to look around. regards walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i agree with most others and would be looking for some pg's

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If only one pg opens up with heat, the engine dies. If only one or the other coil opens, the engine will prolly keep running on 2 cyls., if the idle speed isn't too low. Both pg's are necessary, to determine where the crank is, and a few other functions. It's not a case of one pg runs one coil, and the other pg runs the other coil.

I hope you can find the PG's. Venco Wings used to have them. They may have run out by now.

And, yes, the 84 has the 1100 type on rear of engine. For some reason, the 84 and earlier don't seem to have a problem. Only the 85-87. I think it's the jobber quality.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.