Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1985 LE available. 41K miles- looks good.

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  BadMonk's1200 
#1 ·
Any reason I should not buy or things to look out for. Know about t belts and stator. Thanks

#4 ·
I'll play the advocate for this bike, but I also agree with Chilib and Dennis. An '85 bike no matter the make/model will have issues, some easy to overcome, some not.

The '85 LTD is a great bike but you must be able to work on it yourself, and willing to investigate replacement parts. Take the Computerized Fuel Injection (CFI) out of the equation, and you have a standard '85 Goldwing with associated issues. No problem buying considering this.

The fuel injection system is not so simple, but manageable. Dennis has mentioned in other posts that he would not move one of these out of the garage without having the manuals on hand. This is a requirement, too easy to chase your tail so to speak without the manuals. You would need the OEM Service Manual, Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and the Supplement. Without these, very hard to troubleshoot and maintain.

The ECU is the only component of the CFI that I am mildly concerned with as there are no alternatives out there to replace this, but considering how robust Honda made this system, These last a long time.

The throttle position sensor (TPS) can be replaced with an aftermarket, early model Honda Civic/Prelude TPS. The Ns (crank) sensor can be replaced with an '85 or so Aspencade PG sensor - bolts right in. The injectors are very robust, a clean and flow test, install and go, but there are aftermarket injectors for the early model Civic/Prelude that work just fine. The PB sensors (MAP) can be replaced with a late model Suzuki MAP sensor that is 99% direct match, have had these installed in my '85 for 3 years and work a treat. The Gr/Gl sensors can be replaced with a sensor from the Dodge family sensors. The fellows on the CX500/650 Turbo forum have found a replacement sensor. Spark igniter(s) are one item I have yet to find a suitable replacement for, but still looking. Aftermarket fuel pumps are available as well - lots of older FI cars in the wreckers where you can find a suitable replacement.

Having mentioned all this, I would not shy away from one of these bikes. Parts for non-FI models of this vintage are getting hard to find as well.

Other considerations such as how you intend to ride, daily commute, weekender, touring bike (like my '85 for this), and such.

Lots to consider, but it depends on what you intend to use the bike for. I have a 1500 for touring and towing a trailer with the Mrs - she also doesn't mind the 1200 for touring, have done several extended trips with her on the '85. I also have a 1000 V-Strom for around town and such - some 250 to 350 pounds lighter than the 1200 and 1500.

Good luck on your search.

#5 ·
First off I must admit being biased towards the '85 Ltd Ed because I own one!!

That said..

From my personal knowledge of owning a "Fuelie" is it's a REALLY good bike if maintained correctly! Knowing what I know now I would choose a fuel injected 1200 over the carb'd model any day because the EFI is more "robust" than a carb'd model especially if the bike has sat for any length of time, say a year or two... Yes,,,,, Parts are scarce for the bike but, due to Mother Honda's 10 year rule about parts, they're getting scarce for most bike's older than 10 years!!

As was said earlier problems with the sensors might occur but there are options.. I've never heard of a CFI Computer failing.. Period... The charging system problems can be attended to, if they haven't been addressed already, and I can attest to the repairs/modifications lasting as I have had no problems with mine since 2007 when I did them.

If the bike looks, runs good, and can be had for a good price, I'd buy it in a Heartbeat!! And if you have some mechanical skills you should be able to handle anything she needs done.. If you need some help we'll be here!!

BTW, the fuel system on the bike is almost identical to the system used on Fords in that period the only difference I know of being there is no O2 sensor on the 1200...

Have fun with it and let us know what your decision is!!!

#10 ·
, due to Mother Honda's 10 year rule about parts, they're getting scarce for most bike's older than 10 years!!
There is no 10 year rule on parts. They produce or outsource parts for bikes or cars or whatever for a period of time then they have a stock of parts and when they are gone they are gone. You can still buy parts for 40 YO bikes if they still have any in stock.

#6 ·
I will add my experience with the GL1200LTD. I bought one new and owned it for 24 years. I rode it pretty much all over the country and never had any problems with it except the stator had to be replaced once. I had zero trouble with the fuel injection system. I loved the FI system on that bike. It would start up any time at any temperature with just a push of the starter button and would idle down and ready to ride instantly. I wish they had offered that FI on the 1500 models.

Reactions: AZgl1800
#8 ·
Cost and the environmental regs hadn't caught up with motorcycles. Carbs were cheaper to produce.

#9 ·
I had a 85 LTD,I put 125k on it before someone pulled out from behind a wood fence and didn’t see me,it was totaled but the Only issues I had,throttle position senor,rear wheel bearing flange broke ( the rear wheel was a recall from Honda.)
The 95 was the first motorcycle that cost 10,000$, first mc with cruise control as standard,self leveling.

#12 ·
There is no 10 year rule on parts. They produce or outsource parts for bikes or cars or whatever for a period of time then they have a stock of parts and when they are gone they are gone. You can still buy parts for 40 YO bikes if they still have any in stock.
Bet you guys are right. I thought it was 15 years but that was a long time ago. I might have been right or they lowered it to 10 years???

#15 ·
Dave. NOBODY said Honda HAD to stop selling part's after X# of years... Including me... Please do me a favor and don't misconstrue what I post into something that totally derails the thread.. If you, OR ANYONE ELSE, have questions about the info I post please feel free to PM me with any questions you have instead of letting a members thread get sidetracked like this...

Thank You!

Don....

#16 ·
Interesting. I bought an older bike for the carbs. I didn't want to get hung up fiddling with electronics. I do enough of that with my cars and tires me out. (But I have to admit that I've had good luck with every FI bike that I've owned.) Still, the '87 with better jetting runs just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.