Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i thank you for this forum.

i bought a 1985 ltd it had a charging problem. so i took it to a honda dealer to fix it. they have had it 15 weeks. $1300 later they still can't fix it. they have bent the fly wheel and drive shaft. as well as replaced the stator and volt reg 3 times. where do i need to read to find a way to ride my bike?

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

sounds like you've just been ripped off, there are numerous checks you can do yourself, use the search box, type in "stator" and you'll see all the information on how to test it yourself, and if you are mechanically challenged you could go the "poorboy" route, but that seems ashame having dished out all that dosh and it still isnt right.

welcome to the forum,

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

If your mechanically inclined (no disrespect intended) Get yourself a Digital Multi Meter and a Manual for your bike and start doing the electrical diagnostic testing routines to determine whats wrong.

I think you might possibly have a dead short in the wiring harness somewhere that needs to be traced down.Or an open circuit.

If the dealer put in new stator and regulator, then thats my best guess.

Electrical gremlins take a lot of patience to pursue and identify.

I,ve been wrenching bikes for 30 yrs plus and i know from experience that most mechanics ( NOT ALL). Dont even like to hear the word electrical problems.

I spent a week straight testing every connector on a bike with a similar prob until i found a rusted out pin inside the plastic housing which caused an open condition.

This bike had been to 2 dealers previuosly until it was brought to me.

Now i have a very happy friend.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I would agree with Bikgra about having a dead short. I was having similar issues with my 1984. I tested the stator and everything was ok, but it still wouldn't charge. The previous owner had rigged some wiring coming off of the cooling fan to a toggle switch...which didn't function. So, I pulled out the additional wiring, and the bike started charging. I got lucky, and I wouldn't recommend clipping wires unless you are certain of their purpose. I know that these things can be tricky, but you'd think a dealership would be able to figure it out??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.