Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a 1985 Limited. Was not charging when I bought it. I tested the stator and it tested good. Bought a new voltage regulator and charging system shows 14.3 volts at idle now. Now the problem, the motor feels like it is running on two cylinders until it hits 2000 rpm. This is my first fuel injected 'wing, so I am learning as I go. I put Seafoam in the tank to try to clean out the fuel system, just in case. When I let off the throttle while slowing down, it pops out the exhaust pipes. On my days off this weekend, I am going to do a spark test to make sure it is firing on all 4 cylinders. Any other ideas?

suks2bu37

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

If it is getting spark on all cylinders....do a "carb" sync. You are actually just syncing the manifold. Really helped when I done it to my LTD.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I did not know you could synch the injected models????

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

I used to wrench on these at Honda shops and came across a fairly common problem with debris build-up on the throttle plates.
Remove the air filter; start the engine. 2 people work best with this...1 to spray the carb cleaner, the other to work the throttle.
Using spray can carb cleaner spray inside the air intake body... the engine will attempt to die so you have to vary the throttle to keep it running. Vary the spray from one cylinder to another. I used to use 2 cans to get it all cleaned out.
You'll also want to do this in a WELL ventilated area. The vapors are really nasty.
Anyway... there are several things it could be but this is 'cheap and easy'... I go for that first!

After your done cleaning the throttle plates... then re-sync. Syncing the plates if they are dirty is a waste of time. In most cases dirty plates won't allow a proper sync.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I will clean the throttle body/plates this weekend. I purchased a 7000 mile 1986 SEI parts bike for $700 and as a last resort I will swap motors. I have plenty of extra parts to get this one going, just looking for guidance towards some of the issues.
suks2bu37

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I second the suggestion of cleaning the throttle plates and sync'ing. It made a significant difference on my LTD.

JimCin NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Yessir you can and it's actually easier to to do than the Carb'd models as it's just a side to side balance with no adjustment front to rear. No Tupperware need's to come off, just the 2 CFI covers so you can access the vacumn port's. Also, only 2 vacumn guages are needed.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
Whiskerfish wrote:
Yessir you can and it's actually easier to to do than the Carb'd models as it's just a side to side balance with no adjustment front to rear. No Tupperware need's to come off, just the 2 CFI covers so you can access the vacumn port's. Also, only 2 vacumn guages are needed.
Do you have to use restricters to dampen any fluctuations in the vacuum signal when using vacumm guages?

suks2bu37

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

With the homemade set I've got, yes I had to restrict the vacumn. However I had them re-balanced with a set of Morgan carb manometers' and I can't remember if we had to restrict them or not. The Morgan set has no mercury and is a better unit to use if you have access to a set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.