Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I start the bike up it runs fine and after it gets hot (about 20mins or so) It starts to cut out like out of gas and volts go down to 10.4 -11.3. Fan comes on and I have to pull over and let it cool. After 20 mins or so it starts great and runs like regular until it gets hot again and same happens again. I have new stater and rectifier. Would appreciate any input from someone with an 1985 ltd that has had this problem. Thanks
Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

That sounds very like bad pulse generator coils Glenn. It's very common on the 1200 Wings.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I guess that could be something to look into. Problem is that you can't find those anywhere. I was thinking more about a faulty fuel pump. But that is just an uneducated guess.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Gkell wrote:
I guess that could be something to look into. Problem is that you can't find those anywhere. I was thinking more about a faulty fuel pump. But that is just an uneducated guess.

Go to auto parts store and purchase an inexpensive spark tester. When the problem occurs pull over (as if you have a choice!:smiler:) 1st look for fault codes while cranking engine-you will need a helper present as ecu faults are visible from rear left of bike under travel trunk.

There are 5 L.E.D.'s on the ECU under travel trunklabeled 3 2 1 0 W in that order.

3 and 2 will be difficult to see must be viewed from an angle.

Read LED's as follows:

3 and 0 flashing; W on steady=Bad NS Engine speed sensor

3,1, and 0 flashing; W on steady=GL left Cam angle sensor faulty.

3,2 Flashing; W on steady=GR right cam angle sensor faulty.

Of course wiring or loose connectors could be at fault but try that first and report findings please.

If no codes present unplug most accessible plug wire,plug in spark tester-check for spark.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks,

will look in to that. Thanks for the codes also. Why do you think that this problem only occurs after the bike heats up?

Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Gkell wrote:
Thanks,

will look in to that. Thanks for the codes also. Why do you think that this problem only occurs after the bike heats up?

Glenn
Many components like pulse generators fail under heat-actually very common occurrence.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Did you mean to say a new stator instead of starter? If your voltage drops it could start cutting out as there may not be enough volts to keep the coils working. How's your battery charge look? You may want to do the charging test (see if you are getting close to 14 volts at 3000 rpm). From what I understand about pulse coils is they nromal cause the bike to quit all together until they cool back down.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
Did you mean to say a new stator instead of starter? If your voltage drops it could start cutting out as there may not be enough volts to keep the coils working.
That was my question as well. But why is the cooling fan coming on? Is the bike overheating? Has someone bypassed the fan fuse and a bad fan motor is pulling down the battery? A lot of things don't quite jive here.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

What kind of voltage is your meter on the dash telling you going down the road? Like they said check your voltage at the battery to see if you charging system is putting out.Also did you check your stator out before going to replace your rectifier? I had replaced the rectifier with a new one and less than 6 months it went out I got with the company that made it replaced it for nothing because it was under warranty.Where the rectifier is positioned is a bad design that thing gets very hot and there is not much air getting to it to cool it down and you live in the south eastern US it's been hotter than usual this year and if you haven't hardwired the bike you might ought to do so less headache down the road.The LTD and the SEI have a little bit better stator than the regular 1200 because of the fuel injection and such they go bad but usually hold up better than the regular 1200 stator.If the volt meter is dropping the electrical system ain't charging with all the things on a LTD to run the battery can only do so much.I had some problems like that last year it put me on the side of the road at night just luckly I had someone riding another bike with me and went back and got my brother and his trailor it ain't fun being broke down at night .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.