Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,
I am new to the forum this might be long and winded but please bare with me. I think I am a good back yard mechanic not scared of tackling any job, I am reaching out to the cycle god's ! I purchased this bike a few years ago and been it's been my meditation project . I have been having issues with the bike back firing and hesitation. I have replaced a lot of part's cause not sure when they've been replaced like, coils and wires, also plugs,, last week I replaced the timing belt and pulse generator .I've taken carb's out and cleaned . I got to the last carb and found the slide diaphragm needle was missing about a 1/8 of an inch from the tip and their was a burr making the slide stick so I sanded with a fine grit and it's moving freely now. I have been all over the web searching for the needle with no luck, also the carb kit's are confusing me. Also before doing the carb cleaning I had a really big back fire which made a hole in the exhaust which I'll be dropping and repairing soon. I have a couple of question .

1) can I purchase any slide needle ? the one I have is stamped (1CG) which I can't find or buy. can I buy any set of 4 needles with out replacing the jet's cause they are fine,
2) will the hole in the exhaust make the bike run ruff and spudder.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
For backfiring and sputtering, I think I would take the carbs back to stock using Honda parts. Clean them individually or have a professional do it. The tiny passages need to be open. And again, use Honda parts. Aftermarket stuff will just make matters worse.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Dennis is correct, on carbs, only use Honda OEM parts period.

anything else is a waste of money and your time, because you have to do it twice ( OEM )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the input guy's To the best of my knowledge these are stock carb's I haven't modified them. I was planning on going original but when I did the search this is what happened. I have search local Honda dealer and they are listed as discontinued. Have they changed the # is there a cross reference # for the needle # (1CG) . When I tore the carb's down to see if the jet's were gummed up they were really clean. I was not even going to touch the slide's after seeing the jet's but I figured I had them out so I checked them anyway. That was when I came across the last carb and found the needle damaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts