Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought the bike from a woman who was the only owner. It had 17,000 miles on it. When I took it for a test ride it had a missfire to it and didn't run the best. Felt like it just needed some plugs and wires. She said it had been stored with stabile in the fuel so it may have fouled out the plugs from it. I accepted her theory. I bought it and took it home. I changed the plugs, wires and ends,it did run better, but not perfect. It has slight missfire to it. I pulled the carbs off of it twice, the first time I pulled them apart and checked them all out and found they were perfectly clean. Tho only thing I didn't do was set the idle air jets. The second time I pulled them was to recheck the carbs for dirt and to set the idle air jets. They all were set to 1.25 turns out and the book calls for 2.0 turns out so that is where I put them. I bought a carb sync gauge set a year ago, so I also calibrated the carbs both times. I think the engine should run perfectly smooth but this doesn't, it has a small miss at and idle andit studders and carries on a bit under exceleration between 1800 and 2400 rpm. I can still feel the miss at higher rpm but the speed of the engine covers up the miss a bit. From time to time if I let the bike sit and run for several minutes and then jump on it and take off it runs like a champ. Twice the horse power and smooth as butter but only lasts a few seconds and goes back to the hesitation. I do notice now that if I pull off the number 3 plug wire (this is the most accesable one due to the chrome and fairing) and hold it in my hand anywhere on the wire it shorts out through me to the bike. Meaninig is shocks me or grounds out through me. Please Help

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

You may have a fuel delivery problem based on it runs better after letting it sit and idle. The shock from the plug wire I would say is normal since the spark has to go somewhere but if it were firing strongly I doubt you could hold onto the wire, some people can but not many. You may have a weak coil.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

take the boots off all the plug wirestake every thing apart andclean them. pack every thing with dielectric compound ( silicone) see if that helps. regards walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

All of the wires, boots, and ends are brand new. If I hold the wire half way up it, it will still shock me. I can understand if I was to hold it near the end that I would get zapped but not while holding the wire itself. Thats not normal. The rubber should insulate and not alow that to happen. Right??? One thing I have not done all of the times it has been apart is pull the coil pack off and inspect it. I have a sneaking suspision I have a bad one.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

You didn't say that you changed the fuel filter. Dave's diag seems most plausible. How much fuel have you pushed through this thing? One tank, two? Or are you fighting skunk gas with stabile in it?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sorry, yes. I changed the fuel filter when I did the plugs and wires. I have put 5,000 miles on it, trust me, all of the poopy gas has been ran out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.