Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi All,

New member...trying to figure out how to get to the antenna where it connects to the radio, i want to add a after market one to improve reception, not sure how to get at it....Clymer book says to leave it to the professionals...anyone know how? also, the bike has 39k on it, i'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner put 3k on it, i can not find if the timing belts have been changed....is there a way to tell if they are worn? on v8's with timing chains you could tell by the slop the rotor had in the distributor cap, not sure about belts though. any advise is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

My first bit of advice will be to push the "SEND" button only once, no matterhow muchit seems to have not worked on previous pushes.:D

Next, please let me welcome you to the forum.

Now, the radio...what do you want to change to aftermarket, the radio, or antenna?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Oops... sorry bout that.....the antena, i'd like to put in a aftermarket windshield antena, i've read about improving the reception by adding a capacitor to the....what'ever gizmo...i'd just rather add something more current to improve fm reception, i don't use cb, just fm.... thanks..... one ping vasilli, just one ping.....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

Check in the left fairing to see if there's an antenna connection in there. And maybe under the false tank. Mostly, you probably won't gain what you hope, with a different set up.

If you have to get to the back of the radio mount to change the plug, plan on changing the bulbs while you are there. They are only available from Honda. And map out a full day to do the job.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yup, Dennis pretty much covered it. There should be a couple of connectors on the antenna line, the easiest to get to is under the false tank. Should be two, one for the radio, one for the CB (if so equiped).

As far as the timing belts... look for cracking, shiny spots, damaged teeth, and excessive slack. Any of the above, replace 'em. Of course, to check them you have to take it all apart anyway, so you may as well just replace 'em. They're pretty cheap if you grab 'em from NAPA.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome... i decided to get to the antenna connection where it meets the radio.... Oops, its hard wired... then i decided to put a co-ax junction in the left fairing, this way if i want to change the antenna i can hook it up there....much to my surprise when i put it back together.....#1, everything seems to work !!! #2, now for some reason the radio is pulling all of the local stations that it never used to, i'm guessing that i disturbed a poor connection and now it works as designed? in any case i'm a happy camper....next i'm going to add a mp3 player, gps, and cell phone charging output. thanks again.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.