Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went out for the 1st ride of the season today and was left stranded on the side of the road.

New battery installed before the ride, and she did start a little "hard". After that, ran just fine. I rode for about 45 minutes, shut it off for a quick meal, and when I came out of the restaurant, the bike refused to start.

Turns over very strong, but it would not start.

Called a friend with a trailer and waited for about an hour. Just as he arrived, I tried it one more time, and it started. Ran good too. I drove it to the Honda shop and left it.

Before I get the story of "We dont know whats wrong with your bike, but we can fix it for $600" from the Honda shop, I was hoping to get some ideas from the peanut gallery as to what could possibly be causing this starting problem.

The bike has relatively low miles and has been very well maintained. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I would check the master fuse by the battery. When mine went it just cracked (instead of blowing) and it kept vibrating together giving me an "on-off" symptom.

Bob :11grey:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

If the fuse is good, get a manual and pull the starter off yourself and take it to a local automotive electrical shop. They can probably fix it while you wait. Usually it's just sticking brushes or a bad ground.

In an emergency, do you realize that you can push your bike by hand to get it started? Just place the bike in second gear, pull the clutch in all the way, with the kill and ignitionswitchonand thenhave someone push you. When the pusher almost starts running pop the clutch out and your bike will start.

I have even been able to get mine going all by myself by running beside the bike and popping the clutch, but, I don't recommend this method because it takes a lot of muscle to hold up a Wing and I don't want you to take unnecessary risks unless you can really handle it safely.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Just to clarify, the engine would crank over when the starter button was pushed, but it would not start. I dont think it would be the starter. Also, if the fuse is bad, would the bike even turn over at all?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

What about the kill switch? Dirty contacts? Can you verify that the coils were getting power and/or the plugs are firing?

Ken

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

piper451 wrote:
Also, if the fuse is bad, would the bike even turn over at all?
Come to think of it, I don't think it would! Thanks for pointing that out!:gunhead:

Bob

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Does it make any difference if you turn the ignition key off and on several times? The 1200's have been known to have bad ignition switches.

Did it smell like gas, like it was flodded?

Carry a spare spark plug and the next time it happens, pull a plug wire and connect it to the spare plug. If it cranks over and shows a healthy spark you'll know that it's not the ignition causing the problem.

Vic

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Now don't take offense at this, please. I've done this a few times, and it's embarassing I know...

Was the kill switch "ON"?

My GL is the first bike I have ever seen that will crank when the kill is in the "OFF" position. All the other bikes I have ever owned / ridden won't crank if the kill is off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When they won't fire I usually try to crank the engine with the choke on in case it's dry and then with the throttle wide open, choke off,on thechance it's flooded. Pull a plug wire, stick something conductive in the cap, hold the thing with a dry cloth or paper towel folded up, hold it close to the engine and see if you can get a spark. It all gets down to fuel, spark and air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.