Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Ya'll, Thanks sooo much for all the help on the timing belt questions. I am torn down and will complete it this weekend. My question is, while I have it down I thought I would change the water pump. Gets HOT in Arizona. No seeping yet.The manual says you have to take the front engine cover off, Yuckkkk. Its a 1986 Aspencade. Is that correct? And who sells the fuel filters for the fuel injected model at a decent price. Thanks again...Kim

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Yes front cover must come off.
If it isnt leaking and your not having problems leave it alone.
200,000k and I am still using my original waterpump.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

take the "tranmission cover " off.... yes it is right reallt not hard to do.... but, be careful as you put the water pump bck in, very easy to pinch the O-ring on the punp, and you will re-do the whole job.... also, replace the crush washers on the bolts fpr the pump

pumps leak from 5 places

seal on the coolant side.... O-ring on the coolant side

seal on the oil side, O-rinf on the oil side AND crush washers on the oil side

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

No drip leave well enough alone.

I had a drip from the vent hole so thought I'd have to replace the pump. Took the front cover & pump out and found that it was just the big O ring on the pump that had a flat spot on the bottom.

Pump was perfect no sign of leaking from vent hole in pump and no play sideways or back & forth. So I used a water pump gasket kit and put everything back together.

If you think about how often you have to replace a water pump in a car/truck, there's no reason the ones in these bikes won't last at least as long.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Yes, you have to remove the front engine cover but if it not leaking or overheating, dont fix it.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

The weep hole can plug up over time from road grime beware

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.