Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just noticed yesterday when cold starting my Aspy with the choke engaged that there was a small amount ofgasoline dripping from one of the overflow vents under the bike. The amount was about the size of a U.S. quarter (a few drops), and it stopped immediately once the engine started. Absolutely no problems happening, but I'm curious about this new thing. Is the engine flooding out somehow even though it started right up? Is the enrichment setting out of adjustment? 27,000 miles on the odometer.

Any ideas? Thanks..

Renegade

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Could be a sticking float needle in one carb (bit of dirt or crud jamming it). If the dripping has stopped now then I wouldn't worry about it, otherwise find the leaky carb by tracing the overflow back and then give the float bowl a few taps with the handle of a screwdriver. That often frees things up.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Jason.. I'll do look into it tonight before my ride tomorrow.. Would some type of carb cleaner help out also? Something that I can add to the gas tank...

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Carb cleaner in the tank may not unblock a float needle, thats more suited to dissolving deposits in the carb. If you remove the drain plug on the affected carb and blow a jet of carb cleaner directly into the float bowl (after you drain the petrol from it), that may do the trick. Otherwise its a bowl off job.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Did you ever get to the bottom of this yet Renegade? I'm interested in the outcome.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Heffo... The dripping has not re-occurred since I posted it, and I have been running a fuel system cleaner in the gas ever since. (SeaFoam).. No drips since... I've been trying to duplicate it every morning before setting out, butit has not re-occurred. I have scheduled some time for this weekend to pull the drainplugs on each carb to see if any debris pours out like Jason mentioned, and will report back on it.. Thanks everyone..Renegade

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

You might be lucky then, perhaps some silt got stuck in the float needle and it dropped back into the bowl after a while. I'd say you will find a bit of silt in the drained petrol if you look closely so it will be worth draining the crap out when you get time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.