Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my steering head bearings and after reassembling the bike, the turn signals now do not work. To do this job I removed the fairing, handlebars, steering stem, turn signal cancel control unit, etc.

My first guess was that I had just forgotten to plug something in. I discovered that in my haste, I accidentally plugged the 6 pin brown connector from the turn signal cancel control unit into the 4 pin brown connector for the CB Radio :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek:
I corrected my mistake and plugged the cancel control unit into the proper 6 pin brown on the harness. The turn signals would still not work.

Next, my Clymer manual advised jumping the blue/black wire of the 6 pin brown connector to ground. After doing this, the signals DO FLASH, but will not cancel when I push the signal switch in. With this jumper wire in place, the signal stays flashing if I push it left or right and will not cancel. I can "cheat" by nudging the switch back to center. This cheat will cancel the signal but I know that's not how things are meant to work. This is not permanent or safe, but I have been riding the bike like this for a few months.

My conclusion was that I fried the turn signal cancel control unit by plugging it into the cb radio connector. I ordered a replacement unit off ebay for 12 dollars. With the new cancel unit installed, the problem still exists exactly as before. I checked for continuity on all the connectors on both my original and the replacement cancel units, and they are all good. I took apart the handlebar turn signal switch and cleaned and regreased everything, and checked for continuity on all the connectors. Everything in there is perfect. All fuses are OK. The brake lights work. The radio works. Speedo works. The only part of the bike that is broken are the turn signals and I have been struggling to figure this out for about 3 months. Any help is appreciated!!!

I am even willing to delete the auto-cancelling system if someone can tell me how to bypass it.

·
Premium Member
5,920 Posts
First move the turn light switch for a left or right turn. Then, at the turn switch try grounding the pink wire that goes to the turn light switch, I would expect the flasher to keep flashing a left or right turn. Does it? Also, the horn shares one fuse with the turn lights. Does the horn work?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
As Dennis recommended I would get some factory manuals.. More specifically, in your case, I would recommend the one in the link I'm giving you. The 1986 Honda GL1200 Electrical Trouble Shooting Service Manual! I've got one for my bike and it's got Tons of info with schematics and pic's of specific circuit's and connector locations.

Good luck with Her!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts