Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has wired up these two lights as DrivingLights as opposed to the Turn Signal link.
I suppose they wouldnt be too effective with the stock glass lenses intended for illuminating only a short distance while turning.
I wonder about replacing them with some driving lights..it may be HARD to find some aftermarket ones that actually FIT the rectangular shape.
That said: with the GL1200 tendency to throw a stator..perhaps its not such a good idea to create more ELECTRIC "draw" with a couple of 55W halogens ?
Ideas, comments appreciated

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If they are anything like the 1500 ones, they are not built to be on all the time with the stock bulbs. Too much heat. However, now in the days of LEDs you can get some real bright driving lights and they will run cool and not draw much current.
Actually this will lower the temp of your shunt regulator, as the stator puts out full power all the time, and unless you have upgraded to a series regulator, the shunt version burns up any unused current as heat.
Cyclemax has a bunch of options for LED light kits for the cornering lights.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
That said: with the GL1200 tendency to throw a stator..perhaps its not such a good idea to create more ELECTRIC "draw" with a couple of 55W halogens ?
You can't overload the stator, it runs full load all the time already like Rambozo said. Probably still a good idea to go for LEDs instead of halogen, otherwise the charging system might not be able to keep up at low speed.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Hello I own a 1986 aspencade and when I purchased new I purchased the cornering lights that were on a SEI as my bike had the cut outs in the lower panels and had blanks of plastic painted to the color of my bike.So I removed the blanks and installed SEI corner lights ,Original had 35 watt bulbs and I installed 55 watt instead Used a relay and installed the 3 switches on left handle bar as a SEI has. Used a extra cb radio switch and use the mute button to turn on and off the lights with relay. I have had no problem with stator and they are a nice flood for driving can see the width of the road and ditch . Does not affect on coming drivers. also adds to my bike being seen. LIght projects out 50 foot nice to see the pot holes to avoid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts