Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a 2,200 mile trip on my GL1200 and on the way back home it started running very poorly at low RPM's. It got progressively worse and worse over the course of 1 day until the bike plain wouldn't idle by itself or take off from a stop without lots of throttle. I later realized that the issue was only occurring under ~3,000 RPM; anything above that RPM (highway speeds) the bike ran perfectly fine. So, since the ride home was mostly interstate I "limped" it back home.

Using a spark tester, I found out the back 2 cylinders did not have spark at idle (and I assume up to 3,000 RPM as well), while the front 2 cylinders were good. So, to wrap this all up - any idea what would cause it to have weak/no spark on the back 2 cylinders at anything below ~3,000 RPM? I have checked the primary and secondary coil resistances and everything checks out per the manual. Before I do anything else I figured I'd consult the community on here since there may be something obvious I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
26,184 Posts
Most likely the pulse generator but never trust an ohm test on an ignition coil.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
good news, glad it running for you again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts