Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,
I have started a project on a 1986 GL1200A that was wrecked in the front. The front forks were bent in and I managed to get them off after a lot of persuasion but now and having a lot of trouble getting the other ones I bought back in, is there a trick to doing this? Are they supposed to be diffilcult to get in? I have got them past the first set of clamps but the top ones are where I am having problems. Any help will greatly appreciated.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I'd guess you have a bent triple clamp.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

+1

Replace the triple tree upper and lower and new bearings.

Is the paint chipped, cracked at the frame neck?

What was the crash speed?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Loosen the nut atop the upper bridge and see if the upper and lower will line up, if not something is bent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh thats what I was thinking too but was hoping not to be the case. I wonder if they are both bent (upper and lower) or if there is a way to tell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The paint is not chipped any place. I dont know what the crash speed was, it was hard enough to break the front wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking the lower ones are the bent ones, because once I got through them they wouldnt quite line up with the uppers, I did however manage to get them started in the uppers but cant get them to go all the way.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
When you pull the triple tree you will find it is bent. Replace both top and bottom from a know uncrashed bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Newday777. Do you know where I can find instructions on how to do that. I like to do things by the book to avoid mistakes.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
The steering head bearings are undoubtedly damaged and will need to be replaced as well. Even a large square edged pothole can dent the outer and inner races and cause weird and scary handling.

I would say that it is quite possible the frame alignment could be compromised as well causing the bike to pull to one side or worse. I've seen a 1200 frame damaged by a fairly innocuous lay down to the point where it never did track true afterwards, but, on the other hand I know of one that took a fairly severe impact and seemed fine afterwards. The only way to check without sophisticated equipment is the old tried and true method with two straight edges on either side of the wheels.

Hope it all works out for you. Sometimes a bargain turns out to be the opposite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Thanks Yes I agree that a bargain isnt always as it seems. One more thing do you know if a Triple tree set up from an 86 Interstate is the same as the Aspencade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replys everybody. Does anyone know if a triple tree set up from a 1986 Interstate is the same as a 1986 Aspencade

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.