Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike has been sitting for a while with me running it every week or two. I moved it to storage (covered) to ride out a storm and now I can’t get it to start. It’s electrical as it won’t even turn over. Battery is good (has been on a tender), headlight and all comes on like normal but starter won’t even try to spin. It’s not hydrolocked from leaky petcock as I pulled the plugs and still nothing. If I flick the kill switch really fast sometimes I get a momentary RPM reading and the fuel pump clicks but that’s it. The starter relay by the battery also gets hot if I hold the start button. Starter button? Kill switch? How easy are those to take apart and diagnose or replace?

·
Premium Member
3,329 Posts
Do you hear the starter solenoid click when you push the start button? It may be stuck. You could try tapping on it with the handle of a screwdriver and see if it will start. If no luck there, take a screwdriver and short across the big posts on the starter solenoid and see if it cranks. Be sure it is in neutral before doing that. You don't want it rolling off the sidestand and over on you.

·
Premium Member
3,329 Posts
From experience, I always think starter button in a case like that.
Could be, but he said the starter solenoid was getting hot when he held the start button in, so it would seem the button is working.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
Yeah, I missed the hot solenoid part...sorry.

So I'll change my vote to starter.

Try jumping the starter (as in post 2) and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to messing with it today. I’m doing the basics since it’s at a storage unit and I just need to get it started so I can get it home to clean it and do any major repairs. I got it to start by jumping a screw driver across the two posts at the starter relay to the right of the battery. What does that indicate?

edit: now it’ll start as normal so I’m going to assume it’s a bad relay.

·
Premium Member
3,329 Posts
So I finally got around to messing with it today. I’m doing the basics since it’s at a storage unit and I just need to get it started so I can get it home to clean it and do any major repairs. I got it to start by jumping a screw driver across the two posts at the starter relay to the right of the battery. What does that indicate?

edit: now it’ll start as normal so I’m going to assume it’s a bad relay.
Yes, it sounds like that solenoid is sticking. It might work for a long time if you keep riding it regularly. If it was mine, I would get a new solenoid for it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
Or become proficient at push starting it. 😁
I did that once for a 1500 when the alternator died, and the engine quit.

I pulled all the fuses for lights, just left enough for the ECM to fire the spark plugs.

pushed it as hard as I could and jumped and pushed it into 2nd gear....
ugh, it almost stopped but the engine fired and I rode it 15 miles home.

I was 25 years younger then though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts