Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

can anyone tell me (even better show me a photo) how many pulse generators my GL1200A has, where they are, and how to replace them (and where to get some as it sounds like they're hard to find)? I read this post but I am so much more of a visual learner and it seems to be referring to only one PG whereas other stuff I've read online makes it sound like there are two. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I also read that my Clymer's - which I can't locate right now - photos are probably incorrect as to where they are and how to change them)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Your 86 has 2 pg's and they are located under the timing belt covers adjacent to the crank pulley. Easy to replace... unbolt and bolt in new ones. Follow the wire up to the connector plug under the false tank. Would also be a good time to replace the timing belts if they have not been replaced in the recent past. Have you determined that they are faulty and in need of replacement?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The two black objects on either side of the drive pulley at the front of the engine where the timing belts are.

Although there are two of them, they come as a package.

I have always been able to acquire them from my local Honda supplier. I last got a set this spring.

Item 19 although this is 85 I do believe they are the same for 86 although in the schematic for 86

GENERATOR, PULSE
30300-ML8-680 (replaces 30300-MG9-681)

When your replacing them tie a piece of string to the connector, when replacing them just tie the string on the new ones and gently tug the connector back up... save a lot of fishing around

Attachments

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, you are amazing and those pictures are worth so much more than any words could even possibly begin to describe for me!! This site and forum have once again more than proven their worth to me (I'm feeling compelled to donate again)! Man I would have never known that's where they were!

- Mark

P.S. As far as testing goes, no I have not tested them. However, everything I have read so far points to them, even if they did not test bad. I figure I'll go for them first. The symptom is my bike runs perfectly for about 20 minutes and then dies. Gas is still flowing fine and everything electrical looks great, it just stops running and sometimes backfires while stopping. I walked the bike back home, and it fired up just fine. Has done this exact same thing twice in a row now and I'm not walking it home again! ;)

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
You are correct, those symptoms do point to the pulse generators as suspect.
It would be good to verify that is the trouble before replacing them. I would locate the pulse generator connector up there under the top cover and take a reading on them with your ohmeter. Run the bike until it quits, preferably close to home, and then take a reading again while it has failed. If you have a bad reading then you know you need a pulse generator set.

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:)

Thanks again everyone! It took me a few hours being a first timer on this type of surgery, but I got them replaced. Indeed they were the problem, she's running like a top again - albeit idling a little faster than before(+300-400RPM). The timing belts looked pristine, so I decided not to mess with them for the time being.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.