Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am replacing timing belts on my 1986 Aspencade and when I took radiator off and undone thermostat housing there was not a thermostat. I looked it up in the manuals and says there is one but when I look at exploded view it does not show one yet another does show one but the other view also shows a sensor on the side of the housing and mine does not have the sensor. Is there one and if so where. Kind of confused.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

The UPPER radiator hose attaches to a "neck" at the front of the transfer tubes. Two bolts removes the neck and exposes the t-stat.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

When the rad is off
from the front you have thermostat housing, thermostat and behind that there is a coolant temp sensor, the Aspencade sensor has two spade connectors.
The thermostatic fan switch has two bullet type connectors

Attachments

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I agree. Just don't know where it goes because the exploded view of mine does not show a thermostat. I will try to post the view I have of mine.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

there is a similar cover below the timing belt covers, it is not the thermostat cover, the thermostat housing is above the timing belt covers. do not be confused.

now it is clear, if there is no thermostat in there, P.O. must have removed it.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thank you. Atleast now I don't feel like I've lost my mind. I was getting worried for a few. So now I will check the other housing.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Since I have mine torn down for a relatively clear view of both...
Dennis, what are you doing to bike now? That's not even close to her carburetors.:shock:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,592 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Since I have mine torn down for a relatively clear view of both...
Dennis, what are you doing to bike now? That's not even close to her carburetors.:shock:
What? :shock:That's not the carburetors!!!? :stumped:

Just the 10K tune and clean.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Wow Denis bike 2 yrs old should look so clean

Wilf

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,592 Posts
imported post

Actually, I see some very light seepagearound the main seal. That is worrysome as no replacement exists.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Hey Dennis after 6200 posts and 260000 miles whattya think...time for some gallery pics maybe...

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
What? You want to see me in a speedo?

Oh, you mean pics of the bike...
Well I did mean pics of the bike but hey this is America so do what makes you happy. Let me first go the landry room and fill 2 shot glasses with bleach to treat my eyes in the event I see too much...

...wait...you OWN a SPEEDO?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,592 Posts
imported post

Hey, Hondavidson. I'm sorry, we're getting way off topic. How are you doing with your search?

EDIT for spellinng.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Actually, after the post before yours and your pictures now I see. where the thermostat is. Thank you guys. I knew I could get the right answer on here. Just recently got the bike and seeing that it's late in the season I am just gonna replace all the things that I can and if I don't get it out and ride this year atleast I will have a nice reliable bike next season. Kind of enjoy doing myself because I learn something everytime I do it. 260,000+ miles? Awesome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.