Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my 1986 aspencade-sei has a mind of its own! one day it will start and run fine the next day after it cools down over night it will not start. NO FIRE the engine will spin overbut will not start. i have let it sit and not even turn the switch on for a month, then try to start it and it will crank right up. who has had this problem? if any one has an idea let me know before i spend a lot of money on parts. i have a manual so far every test has pointed toward the control mod. thanks: donnie

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

clean the kill switch

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Check for trouble codes. You can always tear stuff apart later.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Do you always hear the fuel pump pressurize the system as soon as you turn on the key? I had trouble with my 85 LTD for a brief time. I traced it back to a bad relay. Most of the time it engaged the fuel pump when the ignition was turned on and occasionally it would not. It took me a while to realize that when it would not start, the fuel pump was not pressurizing the system. Replaced the relay (can't remember which one but the cover of the fuse/relay box has this detail) and haven't had the problem since.
HTH

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

JIMC-good point. While power to the ignition coils comes more or less direct from kill switch, the spark units require CFI main relay 4 to energize to get power. A quick way to tell for sure if fuel pump is losing power as well as ignition would be to listen for pump. If still unsure pull connector from air valve as it derives power from the same path and at same time as fuel pump but it's connector is easier to get to. There are 2 wires in that connector , brown and green. When ignition is lost check for 12v at brown wire of air pump terminal with key on and kill switch in run both static and with helper cranking engine. Problem could be caused by faulty kill switch as strucker mentioned, a faulty CFI main relay and even a bad connection at the secondary 30amp inline fuse behind solenoid-not main dogbone. Good idea however to check fault codes as GLhonda mentioned when it dies and also when a helper is cranking during it's 'no start' tantrum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.