Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been looking for a 'Wing for a while, just found an '86 on Craigslist (with a sidecar):cool:. The pictures show almost no detail but the description talks about oxidation on the chrome and aluminum. :?:?:?

Cosmetics don't worry me too much, but that suggests a bike that's been sitting rather than one that's been used and loved. What should I look for when I check the bike out?

I will probably go see it tommorrow morning; I'd love to have some advice from more experienced people on this forum.

Talk to me soon,

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Cosmetics don't worry me too much, but that suggests a bike that's been sitting rather than one that's been used and loved.

Au contraire. That indicates it's been ridden rather than sitting. Just check the mechanicals out, don't worry about cosmetics. They can be buffed/polished later.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for responing, Chris.
It's a 1986 with 33000 miles. Most of the bikes I've looked at have nearly double that.
Prices for GL1200s seem to be all over the map, from $1500 for a runner that needs "tlc" to over 4 grand for a really nice one.
I guess the usual advice is to, "buy the best one you can afford,' no?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

You can't tell by the chrome and aluminum how the machine has been used. I bought my '86 with 74,000 mileson the clock and itwas near perfect. Almost 14,000 miles later, it still is. I've seen bikes with 30k on them that look like hell.

Ride it. Listen to it. Look at the oil and hydraulic fluid. Look as far into the fuel tank as you can. Look at the frame under where the exhaust system wraps around it. How long has the owner had it? Why is he selling it? Is he a pig? Look at his car, home and garage.

I paid near 4k for my '86, which is a bit on the high side - but I saw it, rode it and had to have it. They are amazing machines, and I haven't regretted buying mine for a second. They also happen to be the best looking of all the 'Wings. I wish you the best of luck, and let us know how you make out ! :)

:12blue::12blue::12blue:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.