Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I FAILED TO SAY THAT I RECIEVED THIS BIKE AFTER IT SAT OUTSIDE FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS IN THE DESERT HERE IN APPLEVALLEY, IT WAS COVERED,BUT IT SAT WITH BAD GAS IN IT:XI VE WORKED ON HONDAS AS A SHADE TREE MECH,WITHA LOT OF SUCCESSES,THIS ONE,I MAY HAVE BIT OFF MORE THAN I CAN CHEW.:gunhead:IM NOT SURE WHERE TO START,ID HATE TO COMPLETELY TARE THIS THING ALL-THE-WAY-DOWN.IT HAD THE GAS TURNED OFF THANK GOD,THIS INTERSTATE IS A LITTLE MORE COMPLECATED THAN MY 80 WING.ANY INFO WILL BE THANKED,ID LIKE TO THINK I COULD PULL THIS ONE OFF TOO:weightlifter:DAMN THERES A LOT OF WIRING.THANK YOU FOLKS,AND GOD BLESS!!! JUST PRAY FOR ME:goofygrin:RIDING ALWAYS(AT LEAST ON THIS TEETH CHATTERING,BONE SHAKIN SPORTY

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Does not matter if gas was turned off If there was gas left in carbs you are definitley looking at a carb rebuild

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. At the very least you'll be flushing the tank/cleaning the carbs. You may want to rebuild them for your own peace of mind.

Giver' a general tune, fresh fluids and battery and see if she'll fire. Then just take it one step at a time. You'll find lots of info here just by doing some searches, and so many helpful people that you may even decide to change your user name. :grinner:

(Not that there's any anti-Harley sentiment here.)

Glad you found the site, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!!:waving::waving: :waving: You will find a different world in riding your Goldwing. The lack of vibration, the better balance, the better ride, just a great all around motorcycle will make you want to ride twice as far in comfort. :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sportster 70 wrote:
I MAY HAVE BIT OFF MORE THAN I CAN CHEW.:gunhead:IM NOT SURE WHERE TO START,ID HATE TO COMPLETELY TARE THIS THING ALL-THE-WAY-DOWN.IT HAD THE GAS TURNED OFF THANK GOD,THIS INTERSTATE IS A LITTLE MORE COMPLECATED THAN MY 80 WING
What year Interstate do you have? Like the guys are telling you it's more than likely going to need a thorough carburetor cleaning at a minimum. Also I'd recommend changing the timing belts unless you know for sure they are fairly recent and not sunbaked for 10 years. You can "pull this one off" if you take it one step at a time. The Goldwing is about as complex as bikes get but it you do it one job at a time you'll get there. Start out by getting a Clymer or Honda service manual for your bike, both if you can afford it. You can get a Honda manual from Helm Inc. and an internet search will give you lots of sources to order a Clymers. I don't think much about the Haynes I don't think their manuals have nearly as good illustrations.

So get the books, pull the carbs clean them up good, change the timing belts and you are pretty well on your way to a running Wing. If you do a search on this forum you will find lots of info on both projects and if you get stuck we'll all be here to ask.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
What year Interstate do you have?

Hey Paul, the post is titled 1986 GOLDWING INTERSTATE
I think that should help you out a little. :goofygrin: :cheeky1: :waving: :grinner:

WELCOME to the Greatest GoldWing Forum on the Internet sportster70! I am sure that with your hard work and the advice that you get on here, your wing will be up and running in no time at all.

Hey sportster70, why does your subtitle to this post say "SORRY FOR WASTING YOUR TIME FOLKS"? :baffled::baffled::baffled:I never feel that it is a wast of time to help out a fellow rider. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

an '86 interstate is a great bike.... I would start with the simple things first before the big tear down...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
exavid wrote:
What year Interstate do you have?
Hey Paul, the post is titled 1986 GOLDWING INTERSTATE
I think that should help you out a little. :goofygrin: :cheeky1: :waving: :grinner:
Hey, with my bifocals I can't look at the top of the screen without getting a kink in the neck!

Can't waste our time here either, no one has to read or answer any given post. We're all here either to get some help or earn a warm fuzzy feeling for helping another member.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.