Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

No, they are completely different. The 1984 model has them at the back of the engine (engine out for replacement) and the 1985-87 has them on the front and under the timing belt covers. They are not interchangeable.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Check the wires on the pulsegenerator, they're pretty snug in there, might be one broke and can be fixed. The thing is basically just a coil not much there to fail.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

What year "good" coils do you have? I know theyre higher than a kite. True they wont just "bolt on" but maybe we can figger out something with Duct Tape and Bailing Wire? The interruptor (trigger, whatever its called) is different on 84 and 85+, on 84 its a round gizmo and later years, a flat plate on the crank, which wouldnt be too hard to make.

YEs, definitely run them through with ohmmeter. Sometimes they wont read open unless hot so if they dont read wide open cold, put them in an oven at 150*F for an hour and try again. If they are bad, I could try to rewind them for you.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Very clever of Honda to fit the early pulse coils to the back of the engine. Engine out to get at then, aaagh! :(

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Might be able to get at them without an engine pull, but it would be very tough to do. Like someone else mentioned, "time to employ child labor!"

That PG case also makes engine pull difficult.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It does seem strange that Honda would place the pulse generators at the back on the 84 Wing. It sure would be interesting to find out exactly what they were thinking when they originally designed it.

Anybody here have connections with an old time Honda engineer? If so, send an email to [email protected] and I'll gladly pay for the phone call to speak with someone who has first hand engineering knowledge of the 4 cylinder Gold Wing.

Vic

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

You can get to the pulse generator by removing the rear wheel/swinging arm and then drainingand removing the tank. The pg can then be removed using a 1/4" socket set.

Whether it's quicker and easier than taking the engine out is debatable. It took me about 8 hours to change a pg this way.

Graham

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
It does seem strange that Honda would place the pulse generators at the back on the 84 Wing. It sure would be interesting to find out exactly what they were thinking when they originally designed it.

Or if they were thinking! Goody, I just put an engine in only to find a pulse coil is whacked (1984).

Anybody have a blasting permit???

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Or if they were thinking! Goody, I just put an engine in only to find a pulse coil is whacked (1984).

Anybody have a blasting permit???
These things happen. Last year I put a new head gasket on my brothers Astra 1.4 , only to discover on starting the engine that it was still dumping oil in the water. It turned out that the cylinder head was craked internally! Wasted half my holiday visit sorting it out. :X

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

yes, but a lesser chap would resign it to the scrap heap instead of fixing it! Like the saying goes:

"If at first you dont sack seed, keep on sacking till you do sack seed."

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Here's a quote... "No education is without cost"... :waving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.