Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In the 1984-1987 Service manual, page 18-16 it showsa picture of the Aspencade odometer. It shows that it has a electrical type plug on it compared to the next page showing the Interstate and a regular odometer cable. My odometer does not work on my 1986 Aspencade but it tries to so to speak. Otherwords after about one mile it will advance ahead one tenth of a mile. Has anyone else had this problem? I had a new front tire installed yesterday and before that the odometer didn't even more at all.

Im only guessing but i think the speakers and guage case has to be removed to check this plug unless the plug itself is located much further down the front fork. There is no problems with the speed indicator other than showing about a 5 mph slower than actual speed. It's 98 degrees outside and Ihate to experiment in this heat so any advice will be much appreciated.

Harold

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I don't know much about the Aspy dash, but it seems to me that if the speedo is working correctly then the sending unit at the wheel must be working correctly.
I don't know how the Aspy odometer is driven but that's where you'll need to start is at the dash itself.
The gears on many of those odometers were plastic and that's most likely where you will find the problem. It may be that you can fix it though.
There's no such thing as a replacement.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Exactly. I have the same dash on my '85 LTD, and all of a sudden, both the speedometer and odometer quit working. I figure it is either the sensor or wire to the gauge cluster, or the gear in the front hub is broken. I have not checked it yet, as I have the bike apart doing a lot of other stuff to it. But if your speedometer is working (they are ALL optimistic)that eliminates pretty much everything but the gauge cluster itself, which is not repairable. It is a sealed unit. Just look at it this way, your bike will not accumulate any more miles.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'll take a look at it eventually since I won't be able to leave it alone but it's going to be in October when the weather is a lot cooler and dryer.
Thanks for the post guys.

Harold

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

If your speedometer is working then the pickup at the wheel is fine. Your trip meters will probably be working also.

The motor that runs the odometer does get sticky though. Mine started registering like yours, about a tenth of a mile for every mile traveled. I found an article on here were some one removed the odo and added a drop of light 3 in 1 oil to the motor and the odo freed up and started working. I took the dash out, removed the cover on the instrument cluster and was able to pull the odo. After giving the motor a drop of oil, spinning it a bit, and re-installing the odo was still acting the same. After about 30 actual miles the odo started working again though. Fortunately I did not win the bid on the ebay instrument cluster before it started working again :)

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ha ha, good for you. Sometimes puttering around with something that seems impossible can be just the ticket for getting it working again. My air conditioner run's constantly unless I raise the temp setting on it so i wont be going outdoors to look at it for a while. Yesterday I took a short ride on my Rebel 250 and had a ball with it. After riding the GW it was like riding a toy bike but just as much fun. Looks like we have a hurricane on its way up the east coast of Florida too which might bring the temp's down somewhat. Anxious to get back on my old and plain GW and enjoy it again. And many thanks for the tip on oiling the motor. There's hope for this old thing after all. :)

Harold

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

When I jump on the 600 Shadow it always seems small after being on the wing :) It's about time for some heat relief in the south I think (hope).

Also, the plastic gears in the odo had old grease that was getting pretty gummed up. I cleaned that up and added some white lithium while I was there.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks JW, things are looking up for this ole bike.

I've been thinking about going to Radio Shack and getting a can of their electronics cleaner. Then use the 3in1 oil.

Harold

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.