Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just saw a couple of these bikes on eBay and wanted to get some feedback from the group on their track record. Anyone with any firsthand knowledge? Seems like a really nice upgrade, but I would like to know more about the performance/maintenance issues related to its practicality.
Thanks in advance!
Don :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The only problems I have read about are at highish altitudes as the FI was fixed and couldn't adapt to different climates etc. In normal conditions the LTD & SEI absolutely demolish other 1200s and even the 1500 in speed and acceleration terms.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I've put 12k on mine,since I bought it at 72k. No problems at all with injection, but I've had other problems, like leaking fork, hard shifting, excess smoking on startup, but not always.Then, there's the burned-up stator thingy. Did Ext. alternator, using a little single lower ear mini-Denso 55 amp alt. Some Chevy alt, I guess. This is the hot set-up! Lifter clacks on rite head30 secs after startup, then continues for a min, or so, then goes away. Why it doesn't do it immediately after start-up, I'm not sure. Unless the anti-foam chambers are empty, - - - - maybe? Anybody have any ideas? I have 1 new lifter, but waiting to get a concrete solution. I love the fact that the injection isn't one bit cold-blooded. Hit the starter, (starts instantly), go instantly, tho I go easy till warmed up. I have an 85 Interstate, that's really cold-blooded. The engine on it sounds better, than the LTD. No noise at all, and it has more miles! Probably wasn't ridden as hard as LTD was during it's life. The Fuel filter is pretty spendy, but I haven't had to change mine yet, and it is date coded 1988. It runs awsome. I also haven't noticed any altitude problems, - - now 9,000 and above, I haven't experienced yet. All in all I love it, except for the noises. Don't hardly ride the Interstate, tho when I do, I appreciate the fact that it's quite a bit lighter. 100lbs, or so When you do have to work on the inj, best scour the net for some info, there's quite a bit available. Like http://www.intouchmail.net/~fmattox/limited/manual.html Did you see that LTD with 2k+ miles, in Tulsa. One guy bid the 7,000.00, and got it!. Hope he don't have a lot of problems, from the storage. Good luck on your search. Bob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I only ever had a ride on an LTD once, but I won't forget it in a hurry. Very fast indeed for a Wing and the extra weight didn't bother me as it felt no different than an Aspencade, but there again I'm more used to riding a gl1100.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My 1986 SEI was really great. The fuel injection worked flawlessly, hot or cold, wet or dry. Never saw a difference in the idle no matter the weather. You could fire up and take off with no hesitation, stumble or anything but smooth power. I wish my newer 1500 could do the same, it definitely needs some warmup time or it's not happy. It's a shame Honda didn'tput the fuel injection on all the Goldwings!

That said, if you did have a problem with and SEI of LTD it's going to be a bit more difficult to take care of it. I was lucky enough on mine to have the Honda Supplemental manual for the SEI/LTD covering all the sensors and electronics. There were a lot fewer of the made so finding parts will be a little harder. If I still had mine, I'd stockpile the major electronic parts whenever I could find them on eBay. I have admit the main reason I sold my SEI and bought my 1500 was for simplicity. The 1500 is a lot simpler bike to work on. Just two carbs, and the panels and fairings are a lot easier to deal with in my opinion. Not to mention they were built for a long time which means parts are easier to come by and the Honda shops for the most part still work on them if necessary.

If you are up to keeping one of these fine old bikes up, they are superb! In the future if all else fails you could convert them to carbs. Also Vic and his group at the Back Yard Goldwings Bar and Grille are hard at work devising EFI for the 4 cylinder Wings. If they get a reasonable price system going, that's really going to be a boon.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys! Good input, all! I guess that would explain why the one on flea-bay is going for such a good price (just under 4k US at the moment). Not a bad price for an '86, huh?
It is attractive to have the response of the fuel injection, but for 4k and a little comparison shopping, you might find a 1500!
Don :cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dat7 wrote:
It is attractive to have the response of the fuel injection, but for 4k and a little comparison shopping, you might find a 1500!Don :cheeky1:
I doubt it! Unless you want to find a bike that needs some work. Quite often one that has cosmetic damage (plastic) comes up pretty reasonably priced.

I sold an 86 SEI, 60,000 miles, everything working, but had been rebuilt after an accident and repainted (a very handsome green, better than original) and got slightly less than $4k for it. I'd think an average one should run around $3.4-3.6k, an outstanding example might reach $4.5k. At least that's what I've been seeing. Interestingly I've been noticing that bikes on eBay seem to sell for less than the ones I see selling locally around Seattle/Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I bought my first wing a couple weeks ago. Just happens to be the LTD. Wasnt what I was looking for but have found it to be more than I had hoped for. I wanted a 1200 Aspencade and have for years. Frankly dont like the looks of the 1500's and the 1800's that much. We paid $3800 with tax, license and everything out the door. Paid for it and drove it home. All within about 3 hours of deciding it would work, and that was at a Honda dealership.

The fuel injection is VERY peppy. Doesnt act like the bike is as big and heavy as it looks like it should be. No it isnt as spunky as my 3 cylinder 2-stroke 550, but what is? I dont know what kind of problems the injection is going to be as I have not owned it long enough yet.

:12ltd:

Marty :cool:

Reactions: jgarrett

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Long Hair wrote:
I bought my first wing a couple weeks ago. Just happens to be the LTD.
The price you paid sounds about right, I sold my 86 SEI for about that much. I think you'll find the LTD to be a fine machine. The fuel injection works so much better than carbs. The only problem with the bike was mine, I had to discipline myself not to get distracted playing with the computer.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Here in Ontario Canada an 84 interstate will go for between $5000. and $6000.00 from a dealer and not much less any where else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.