Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my endorsements Memorial day weekend . Got popped 1 1/2 years ago , so my wing has set ever since . I pulled the jets out of the bottom of the carbs so I have gas flowing again. However I don't have any spark out the coils. I've went as far as grabbed the spark plug while in the plug wire , grounded it , and cranked it over. Nothing. Any suggestions ?

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
Knowing what bike you have would be a tremendous help.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
First you need to check if the kill switch is on. Then check if there is power to the black/white wire to the coils.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, ha to the kill switch line . Checked that several times . 1 side has some spark , just not bright blue, not that I noticed . The left side has nothing. Coils ? How do I get to them ?

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
Coils are under the false tank. You may also have a problem with the pulse gen, but...

I think most GL12 spark problems are due to dirty connectors or broken wires. Check to make sure you have juice getting to the coils.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
Ha, ha to the kill switch line . Checked that several times . 1 side has some spark , just not bright blue, not that I noticed . The left side has nothing. Coils ? How do I get to them ?
Each coil fires a plug on each side so probably not the coils, check for low voltage to the coils.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
are there any tutorials in here on how to get the fairing off or ,,,,,,,, am I looking for a Clymer's book ?
You don't have to take the fairing off, just the shelter & it's simple enough I don't think anyone has bothered making a tutorial.

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
And getting a Clymer's is a waste of money. Get the Honda book.

Basically:

Take the fairing pockets out.
Pop the rubber covers off.
Remove the bolts that hold the front of the cover.

Remove the side covers.
Remove the bolts that hold the rear of the cover.

Removing the seat can help but not necessary.

Tools needed:

10mm socket.
JIS #2 screwdriver.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Being that they worked before I would check all connections, and use a bit of electrical contact grease. There is 2 bolts up towards the front sort of hidden. Seems like 4 main bolts hold the stupid thing on. make sure the spark plug ends that connect to the plugs are screwed well into the wire as well.
Dennis is the Go to guy on a GL1200, Im also thinking maybe a mouse got a wire wouldnt be the first time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update !!!!!!!!!! After looking over the situation I decided to take it my mechanic where ,,,,,,,, he diagnosed the problem back to the CDI box being bad . The carbs needed cleaning. The bad gas needed removed, and the mouse nest needed removed from the air cleaner box. I never would've ever gotten that far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
glad to hear that you have got it running again, Goldwings forever!
Still at the shop getting fixed , but I can't wait to ride again. True confession time . I went out and bought a Harley to see what all the hype was about. I gotta be honest , I'm not impressed at all. If the hype's all about original American iron then okay , I get it and respect it. But to be honest ! My wing handles the road bumps way,,,,,,,, better than the FLT does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts