Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:dude:SPORTSTER HERE,I GUESS I SHOULD GET A BOOK ON THIS BIKE,ITS IN THE MAIL,MY QUESTION IS,IF THIS BIKE IS LOW ON OIL,:shock:WILL THIS CAUSE IT NOT TO START?IF I CHOKE IT AND PLAY WITH THE THRODLE,I CAN SEEM TO GET IT TO START,NO RPM,BUT THIS IS SHORT LIVED:baffled:DOES THIS BIKE HAVE A SAFTEY FEATURE THAT CAUSES IT TO SEEM TO STARVE FOR GAS?:jumper:ONE CYLINDER IS GETTING HOT,BUT NOT THE OTHER 3 SEEMS COLD?IM GETTING GOOD SPARK.SEEMS THAT MY OLD WING '80' WHEN IT GOT LOW ON OIL IT RAN LIKE :cheeky1::pumpkin::crying::tutut:DONT QUITE REMEMBER:12ltd:THANKS

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sportster 70 wrote:
:dude:SPORTSTER HERE,I GUESS I SHOULD GET A BOOK ON THIS BIKE,ITS IN THE MAIL,MY QUESTION IS,IF THIS BIKE IS LOW ON OIL,:shock:WILL THIS CAUSE IT NOT TO START?IF I CHOKE IT AND PLAY WITH THE THRODLE,I CAN SEEM TO GET IT TO START,NO RPM,BUT THIS IS SHORT LIVED:baffled:DOES THIS BIKE HAVE A SAFTEY FEATURE THAT CAUSES IT TO SEEM TO STARVE FOR GAS?:jumper:ONE CYLINDER IS GETTING HOT,BUT NOT THE OTHER 3 SEEMS COLD?IM GETTING GOOD SPARK.SEEMS THAT MY OLD WING '80' WHEN IT GOT LOW ON OIL IT RAN LIKE
The bike shouldn't run any different when low on oil, unless it's low enough for the engine to seize. No safety feature to cut off the fuel. If you're getting good spark on all four cylinders and only one is heating it sure sounds like a carb problem. Some quick checks you could make:

Pull your spark plugs and take a look at them for color.

Unscrew the carb float drains to see if fuel is getting to all of them.

Check the fuel delivery through your fuel filter by disconnecting the downstream side and cranking the bike.

Since you do get some action when using the choke it does sound like fuel starvation. It's most likely going to end up being a carburetor teardown and cleaning.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Was the bike laid up for a while? It definitely sounds like the carbs need some attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.