Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:goofygrin::goofygrin:MY OTHER BIKE IS THIS 1986 INTERSTATE THAT i PICKED UP FOR NEXT-TO-NUTHIN. I TRADED MY 1980 WING FOR A HOPPED UP 70 HARLEY,AND HAD TO GET A WING BACK!!! HARLEY IS A HARLEY,BUT A WING IS MADE FOR COMFORT AND DEPENABILITY. I MISSED IT:(. MY PROBLEM IS THAT I CANT SEEM TO GET GAS TO THE CARBS.DOES THIS BIKE HAVE A FUEL PUMP? MY80 DIDNT? AND IF SO, IS IT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY BIKE NEXT TO THE CARB? :baffled:AND DOES THE TANK NEED TO BE FULL BEFORE IT WILL WORK? ITS ABOUT LITTLE UNDER 1/2:stumped:WHEN THE FULE LINE IS CONNECTED,AND THE POWER IS ON,TURNING OVER THE BIKE,IS THIS GIZMO SUPPOST TO PUMP GAS?THE LINE GOES INTO THIS THING AND THEN GOES TO THE CARB. IS IT SUPPOST TO MAKE A PUMPING SOUND LIKE THE FUEL PUMP OUTSIDE MY TRUCK,CONTINUS?I TURN OVER MY BIKE AND IT MAKES A CLICK SOUND, THATS IT.:headbanger:CAN SOMEONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT FOR ME?:cooler:MANY THANKS,RIDIN ALWAYS,LATER:madeyes:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

sportster 70 wrote:
:goofygrin::goofygrin:MY OTHER BIKE IS THIS 1986 INTERSTATE THAT i PICKED UP FOR NEXT-TO-NUTHIN. I TRADED MY 1980 WING FOR A HOPPED UP 70 HARLEY,AND HAD TO GET A WING BACK!!! HARLEY IS A HARLEY,BUT A WING IS MADE FOR COMFORT AND DEPENABILITY. I MISSED IT:(. MY PROBLEM IS THAT I CANT SEEM TO GET GAS TO THE CARBS.DOES THIS BIKE HAVE A FUEL PUMP? MY80 DIDNT? AND IF SO, IS IT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY BIKE NEXT TO THE CARB? :baffled:AND DOES THE TANK NEED TO BE FULL BEFORE IT WILL WORK? ITS ABOUT LITTLE UNDER 1/2:stumped:WHEN THE FULE LINE IS CONNECTED,AND THE POWER IS ON,TURNING OVER THE BIKE,IS THIS GIZMO SUPPOST TO PUMP GAS?THE LINE GOES INTO THIS THING AND THEN GOES TO THE CARB. IS IT SUPPOST TO MAKE A PUMPING SOUND LIKE THE FUEL PUMP OUTSIDE MY TRUCK,CONTINUS?I TURN OVER MY BIKE AND IT MAKES A CLICK SOUND, THATS IT.:headbanger:CAN SOMEONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT FOR ME?:cooler:MANY THANKS,RIDIN ALWAYS,LATER:madeyes:
Sportster, those pumps just click (they don't whirr like a car or truck). The pump is driven by one of the ignition coils when it triggers.

Do the pump test per the furnished service manual page.. If the pump works then suspect plugged carb needle seat screens (in the very top of each carb needle seat).

Even if the pump doesn't function fuel should flow to the carbs as long as the fuel level in the fuel tank is ABOVE the top of the carbs.

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Twisty is right. BTW, your 1980 Goldwing had a fuel pump as well, mechanical and on the same side as your current model.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.