Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchased a 1986 SE-i GL1200 Aspencade and just not sure how to proceed, I purchased the bike got it home and went on one ride. Got home and found out the stator was bad. After doing the research I am at a lose and looking for recommendations. I have it partially disassembled and wonder if it would be easier to part it out or sell it as is. I can say the only thing that it does not have is the intercom and radio otherwise its a complete bike. Help me out please :praying::bow:

·
killer driller
781 Posts
you can either remove the engine and do the stator or you can do the poor boy coversion,from what i've read the poorboy is a permanent fix,and the stator repair has been known to go out who knows when,personally i've never done either so someone with more experence will be along shortly,as far as getting rid of the bike i think i'd fix it

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Are you certain the stator is bad? Those are good bikes and with some TLC will run forever. Wish I still had my LTD...

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
If your stator is really bad the best thing to do is probably do the Poor Boy conversion.
That is basically adding a pulley to the engine up front and installing a car alternator under the fairing

I've never done it, but I read allot here about doing it. Lot's of info on the site here, just have to search for it. From what I've read of people doing the conversion it is not hard to do, probably around same cost as replacing the stator, the engine does not need to come out, and no more worries of bad stators later.

That would be the way I would go if it were mine.

Here is a post here for a kit for sale minus the alternator.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/7-sale-wanted-forum/422746-poorboy-kit.html

And it might be better to post in the technical forum for this instead of the for sale, get more help that way with the problem till you decide if you want to keep it or sell it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sigh

I am not 100% sure its a stator the deeper I have dug into it there are plugs that have been cut off and wires ran from the battery to various locations. I tested the three yellow wires I got 4.5,4.5,1.1 DC volts so I have no clue I have an 85 Interstate and think I may want to upgrade to the 1500's but need to decide what to do with this one first.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
wih the stator wires cut,the correct procedure is to check the ac voltage accross all three pairs of wires at 3000,should be in the range of 40-70V
AC not DC

even if you decide to sell the bike,with the poorboy coversion the mc is worth alot more than if it had a stator imho

check closely that your charging problem isn't because of burnt connections at the regulator and the solenoid connector

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok looking for a wiring loom for an 1986 GL1200 this bike is a Aspencade and I am looking for any and all wiring looms that are along the frame from front to back. My wife really would like to be able to ride her bike too. anyone out there that can help would be very grateful.....

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ok looking for a wiring loom for an 1986 GL1200 this bike is a Aspencade and I am looking for any and all wiring looms that are along the frame from front to back. My wife really would like to be able to ride her bike too. anyone out there that can help would be very grateful.....
The first post says SE-i Aspencade, now is it the Aspencade like you just wrote or is it the SE-i Aspencade as you first posted that you need the harness for?
It makes a difference.:readit:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know, I have to say its the se-i aspencade not 100% sure, just know on the the front above the headlight it says special edition i know its a 1986 GL1200 Goldwing for sure.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Plain Aspencade came with carbs, SEI has fuel injection and is 2 tone white and beige(?)

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Plain Aspencade came with carbs, SEI has fuel injection and is 2 tone white and beige(?)

But werent all the fuel injected bikes two tone beige? someone please chime in and help us figure out which bike he has....thanks!!!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
But werent all the fuel injected bikes two tone beige? someone please chime in and help us figure out which bike he has....thanks!!!
Mark
The 86 SEI FI was white with beige decals. That's what I call 2 tone.
(exact colors may be listed different than I call it)
The 85 LTD FI was gold with brown decals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok this is a two tone bike, it is like a mauve looking color, the one thing that it says is special edition on the decal above the headlight. the title says its beige in color so I just don't know is there a way to find out via the vin?
I so want to get to working on his bike but have to know which wiring loom I really need.
Thanks Jarheadjas

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ok this is a two tone bike, it is like a mauve looking color, the one thing that it says is special edition on the decal above the headlight. the title says its beige in color so I just don't know is there a way to find out via the vin?
I so want to get to working on his bike but have to know which wiring loom I really need.
Thanks Jarheadjas
Carbs or FI?

You can also find the model on the steering neck label, lower right corner.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK we have determined that I have carbs, so that would mean I am looking for the wire looms for an 1986 GL1200 Aspencade. Is there anyone out there that can help me find some good wire looms for this bike, I am needing the ones that go under the false tank and the seat. really would love to get this bike up and running enough I can determine if i need to get a poorboy or if i should just find another bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.