Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I in the process of finding new tensioners. However, does anyone know if the just the bearings themself can be replaced instead of the whole tensioner? I got my bike put back together and now I am aware of the tensioner noises. The bearing need to be replace. I just replaced one on one of my cars and noticed that I could have just measured up the bearing and replace it from a bearing distrubtor. I was wondering if I could do the same with my tensioners on the bike. I can't tell now because my bike is all put back together. Why didn't I replace them when I had it apart, I was being cheap and didn't know I had a problem with them. I knew better, but I guess Mr. Experience didn't hit me in the head hard enough for me to change them.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have heard of folks replacing them but I do not think I have ever seen a part number listed for the Bearing. If you are hearing noise it is possible you have them a little too tight??

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I have NOT heard of anyone replacing the bearing in a tensioner. I have one in my hands, and it looks like it is built with a one time press together. I must take it apart one day and have a looksee. Anyway, it is not something that I would be willing to do, given the horrific results of it failing. I recommend just digging in and getting new tensioner(s).

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

while looking at a napa timing belt cross reference list. i found lots of timing belt tensioners. dont you think there could be an automotive or just a direct replacement for the goldwing tensioners?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Yes, they can be rebuilt with automotive parts.. I have been working on documenting that project research for about 6 months now.. still not documented properly,, but I went ahead and posted it anyway.. I'll update it as time permits..

Check HERE

Post or PM me with any questions..

SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

When I said no, I was thinking only of some way to rebuild the actual pulley. It never dawned on me to think about just adding another pulley to the backing plate. Great idea and so now this thread can end and its over to SDB's thread. A very clever man indeed.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
When I said no, I was thinking only of some way to rebuild the actual pulley. It never dawned on me to think about just adding another pulley to the backing plate. Great idea and so now this thread can end and its over to SDB's thread. A very clever man indeed.
wasn't trying to be critical... was more dissappointed in myself that I hadn't gotten everything done that I wanted to.. there is still much more to do to correct the errors int he documents... And if I were really clever, I would have figured out how Mana works..:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.