Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

let me get this straight....you guys are saying it's ok to use diesel engine oil in my '96 1500 SE and there will be no damage?????

Not sure on your 1500, but it can be used in motorcycles without issues provided it doesn't have the 'energy conserving' symbol on the back. I use it on my GL1100, had it in my Magna, the ST1100 etc etc.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

ChasW wrote:
I was told if I used synthetic oil it would not smoke because synthetic oils don't smoke when they burn.
Back in the early '70s, when synthetics were beginning to be noticed, there was a significantly greater "gap" in the specifications differences between the synthetics and the petrol-based lubricants. I think the "flashpoint" specification was much higher for the true synthetics than for the petrols.

This, of course, only means that the synthetics could take more heat before actually igniting. Synthetics will, however, burn quite readily once they have been brought to their individual ignition temperature. I know a guy here who heats his shop with an oil burner...and used synthetic drain oil burns very well in there, according to him.

Now-a-days, the highly refined, qualitypetrol oils have gotten their specifications to be very close to the synthetics.

Amsoil markets a synthetic 2-stroke oil that smokes very little. A major reason for this, however, is that they recommend a mixture of 100:1 for normal applications (non-racing). Many people would never use that mixture any more than they would change their motor oil every 15,000 miles...and yet, plenty of folks (like me) do both with no noticeable negative results.:waving:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Yes, Diesel oil will work very well. Just avoid oils with friction modifiers or energy conserving symbols on the jug. This additive will put a coating on your clutches that make them slip.

Refer to the search bar at top of page. Type in "Engine oil" or some other key word & you will find alot of threads discussing this!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

cbltech59 wrote:
let me get this straight....you guys are saying it's ok to use diesel engine oil in my '96 1500 SE and there will be no damage?????:?
YES, I HAVE USED IT IN ALL MY BIKES. GREAT STUFF MOBIL DELVAC 15W40

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.