Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning out my Gas Tank via Electrolysis. (Now back to very clean bare metal)

I ran some clean fuel through the Petcock line to purge the cleaning agent out of the line.
After I seen clear Fuel. I reconnected the fuel hose to the fuel pump.

I started the bike up to watch the fuel bars climb on the dash (First time with a full load of fuel since I started restoration)

The bars stopped climbing at 1/2.(That is odd)

Then the bike acted as if it was running out of fuel & shut off without my touching a thing??.

When I cycle the ign. I can't hear the fuel pump prime anymore? (Always could before)

Now I can't see the RED "Fuel" light on the dash lit?(On top of Fuel System)

I've read a few related no start threads here.
None seemed to address this topic?

This is what I've checked so far after reading the service manual & Sup manual.

1. I can feel the fuel pump (#5 relay) and number 4 relay click when I turn on the ign. (I swapped them with other relays to see if any change/better contacts?)
Didn't turn on the Fuel light!

2.I have power on both sides of all the fuses with ign On. (using test light)

3. I have power from the Harness on the Under seat White 2 wire fuel pump connector. (using test light)

4. I have power out of both screws on both dogbone fuses by the battery. (No sign of corrosion on any of the 4 screws)

5. All the lights light up solid on the CFI computer when ign is turned on.
Then they all go out after 5 seconds.

6. New battery is fully charged.

7. Ive wiggled the three main connectors coming out of the fuse block (Nothing changed-Still no RED Fuel light)

8. When I cycle the kill switch nothing changes on the dash. (The Red fuel system/Cruise/Cruise set lights do come on)

Bike will crank fast, but will not start?

What am I missing?

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
3. I have power from the Harness on the Under seat White 2 wire fuel pump connector. (using test light)
If you have power to the pump, and ground, the pump should run. Sounds like the pump failed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have power to the pump, and ground, the pump should run. Sounds like the pump failed.

I thought about that too based on how idle slowed down as it quit running.

So for grins. I just sprayed Brake clean in a air filter cover snorkel,and it started up for a few seconds.

So I'll change the pump in the morning..

Rather odd that I have been running this bike for 5 minutes at a time, after each new item was added to bring the maintenance up to par.
The bike would fine, until I hit the kill switch.

Now back to the "No RED Fuel Light" on the Dash.

It would come on along with the Fuel System/Cruise/Cruise Set lights.

Would a dead pump not allow the Fuel Light to Light on the dash?

·
Administrator
21,893 Posts
Please explain what you mean by "Have you tried to bypassing the fuel lines?".

Not sure why I wouldn't have spark, when the bike run fine up until idle slowed down and quit running.

Simply run a fuel supply into the FI from a bottle of gas. You hadn't mentioned that you'd sprayed the brake cleaner and it ran. But that is the same basic idea.

As far as the spark, I was asking to try and determine how much troubleshooting you had already done. Spark test takes 2 minutes, so it's usually the first thing I try.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, any time a bike quits, you want to determine why. It's a 2 minute task to check the spark.

Spark plug wires are hidden by the spark plug chrome covers.
But yeah. remove the vent in front of knee.
Remove fairing screw & Cover screw to access spark plug wire. to check for spark. (2 minutes)

Or lift Trip computer and spray brake clean in a Air filter snorkel and see if it tries to start. LOL

I still haven't seen why no Full fuel gauge.or no Fuel light on dash.?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Simply run a fuel supply into the FI from a bottle of gas. You hadn't mentioned that you'd sprayed the brake cleaner and it ran. But that is the same basic idea.

As far as the spark, I was asking to try and determine how much troubleshooting you had already done. Spark test takes 2 minutes, so it's usually the first thing I try.

You are correct on not mentioning the spraying brake clean.

Because when I got back from my errands and read the two replies
A bell went off in my head.
I went out to the bike and gave the brake clean a shot.
I was going to open the air cleaner, Then I thought. Why not just try spraying a shot in a snorkel first to see what happens?
Well it started. so that told me I had no fuel.?.

Great next problem.lol

Now for the other issues?. (I know won at a time. lol)

BTW. Thanks for the Help!!

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Now back to the "No RED Fuel Light" on the Dash.

?
If that is the low fuel light and you have more than a gallon of fuel in it the light should be off. But it should come on for a couple seconds when you turn the key on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If that is the low fuel light and you have more than a gallon of fuel in it the light should be off. But it should come on for a couple seconds when you turn the key on.

Okay that makes sense seeing I only had about a gallon or two in the tank to get the bike running.(sat for 3 yrs before I bought it)

And as you said. The light did come on for a few seconds while the pump was pressurizing the fuel rail.

But it doesn't light up at all now? (not even briefly?)

That's what I'm trying to figure out now?

Is there a way to jump (test) the sending unit to get the light to light up on the dash?

Just found this thread (second post)
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/349612-fuel-sending-unit-gl1200.html

I'll try it to see if the light lights up?

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
if that gas is 3 years old, I would siphon it out, and fill the tank with fresh gas.

most likely, the lights will work right.
Check the first post John.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:

I followed the instructions from second post here.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...it-gl1200.html

I'll try it to see if the light lights up?

I unplugged the White connector to the gas tank sender unit.
I jumped the green/white wire/blue stripe wires.

NO RED Fuel light lit up on the dash?.

Oddly the Fuel graph on the dash (blocks)

showed 1 bar,(even with the connector disconnected from the sending unit)??

When I turn on the ign. Every graph show full (Blocks) as it should when key is turned on. So I think its safe to say the Fuel gauge is active.(In first turn on mode anyways)

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Maybe the bulb burned out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE.

I tested the brown wire right at the pump.

To see if it had power on that end I had power at the Harness connector under the seat)

I Put in the aftermarket Fuel pump I bought on Amazon a few months ago.[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-SP1186-Electric-Fuel/dp/B008M4R9VY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Spectra+Premium+SP1186+Electric+Fuel+Pump&qid=1571349261&sr=8-5#[/ame]

I can hear the pump prime again.

The bike is running again.

I still only see one bar on the fuel graph on the dash.
Still no Red Fuel light.(For a few seconds when Key is turned on.)

Looking at the part numbers and pictures of sending units on ebay.
There are 2 different part numbers for the sending unit.
1. For the Aspencade/Interstate models.
2. The same part number for the LTD/SEI.

I'm guessing the Sender I took out of the parts bike might of crapped out after sitting unused for 6 or so years??

The Original sender's thermistor fell apart when I took the sender out to use electrolysis to clean the tank.

So I put it the parts bike sender.

Maybe its now defective after sitting unused for 6 plus years?

Possibly the reason for no fuel light or all the bars showing on the dash with a full tank of fuel.??

I have positive results for every other thing that I have checked so far.
I even used a brass brush on all the contact points in both dogbone fuses today keeping my fingers crossed.

This is the only thing I changed when I cleaned out the tank, Before the pump died suddenly.
Now that a new pump got the bike running.

I'm hoping a different sending unit will be it??

Any other ideas are certainly welcomed!.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
You can try cleaning up the sending unit. Take the metal cover off and you can get to the working parts inside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Are all the fuel functions on the travel computer working?

Faux tank/w-travel computer have been off the bike for a couple months,

The Dash fuel gauge & red fuel light still worked as normal.

UPDATE.
I am willing to try anything to sort this out..

1. I drained 4 gls of fuel out of the tank.
2. I took out the sender.
3. I plugged in the sender to the connector. (With a remote ground to the sender)
Still no Red fuel light or Fuel Gauge graph other then 1 bar.

4.I took the trip computer off the faux tank. (I examined all 4 connector points -No sign of any corrosion)
Then I plugged the computer in.

5. The Red fuel light now "Stays on"
Now the computer display (US Map/Clock) aren't working?
They were before.
6. I plugged in the two radio cords--Radio works?

I checked all the fuses again. (All good)

Where does the computer get its power??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts