Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all,

My 1986 SEI has started to have a rough idle. In fact sometimes it will die. When I am running thru the gears it pulls strong and runs great. But at idle...well it runs like it is out of gas almost. I have to be very careful pulling away in 1st gear to keep it going. Once the RPM's get up to around 1900 it is fine.

Any Idea were to start looking?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

RunSeafoam or Techronin at least two tankfuls of fuel, to clean out carb's clogged idle jets[BT-DT]. Use MMO afterward; beendoing thisfor yrs. on our '95SE.

TTFN....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH, US

·
Administrator
27,779 Posts
imported post

I suspect the throttle position sensor may be bad. It's a hard to find item so several have adapted one from Honda cars or found other alternatives.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my 85 LTD. I had good results from sync'ing the throttle plates. I regularly use Seafoam and had changed plugs and fuel filter, and had checked my air filter with no impact on the problem. After sync'ing the throttle plates I again had a smooth idle. HTH

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Sorry I have a manual and can look that up. I have been battling a herniated disk with bad sciatica and I am afraid it has made me a little lazy!

Man the weather has been perfect for riding also!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

Agree, clean and synch the throttle plates, and check the TPS. that should put it back in fighting shape

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Looking at the manual it seems I need some tools I don't have. Also it looks like I need to take some of the fairing off. For those of you that have done this is it a hard job. I mean time consuming?

With this sciatica I cant stand or bend over for more than a few minutes at a time.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I don't think it is that hard to do, send lopeha a pm, he did the bike I have now when we had our meet in Calhoun last year. I was not the owner of the bike then.....butI knew who was:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

unpilot wrote:
Looking at the manual it seems I need some tools I don't have. Also it looks like I need to take some of the fairing off. For those of you that have done this is it a hard job. I mean time consuming?

With this sciatica I cant stand or bend over for more than a few minutes at a time.

Thanks!
On my LTD all I had to remove was the false tank and the air filter in order to clean the throttle plates (the directions are in the Honda service manual, if you have it). Nothing needs to be removed to sync them although you do need a set of gauges. I used the set that first circulated as loaners here on the forum. Perhaps you can get on the list to borrow the set that is now available on the list. The sync process took all of about 10 minutes...

HTH

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Sorry for my english....
High temperature and time destroy all rubber parts.The vacuum runs away.That's problem.
Change O-rings in all intake pipes; control vacuum tubes (don't look only - touch all and check for deterioration, damage or a loose conection); clean vacuum ports on intake pipes(using carburator cleaner spray only! -this is VERY small hole!).
Of course - clean and sync the throttle plates - Honda suggests to do it in every 4000 miles.(I have good results when I do it with iddle speed 800 rpm).Adjust and control in the same time: the difference in vacuum and iddle speed.
Control sparks plug gap - must be the same in all sparks (0.9mm)
Clean air gap on GR/GL sensors (use carburator cleaner spray) - all this parts must be very clean!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.