Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(I bought this 1986 SEi from my brother who bought it brand new in 1986. His health went bad and the bike was parked for the last 3 years. It ran perfect when he parked it. I installed a new battery and it started with little problem, it rev's ok but on the road it falls on it's face at 1/8 to 1/4 throtle open. Any suggestions would be welcome. By the way, it has 63,000 miles on it.

This is my first Goldwing. I have been riding a 1985 VT1100 Shadow for the last 20 years which now has 362,000 miles on it (2nd motor) and still runs great:cool:. The Goldwing is a whole new world to me :shock:. Bro D.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a carb cleaning/rebuild to me. When gas sits that long it turns into a slimy mess that will clog up the inside of your carbs (jets clogged, float valves obstucted, vacuum piston could be stuck, floats jammed, etc.).

Could also be other things like rust in the tank clogging up your fuel filter.

In any case it's probably fuel related.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the input axlewik. I was hoping for a cheap easy fix but somehow I think your right. UUUUUUHHHHH $450.00 huh? LOL

Bro D, Cincinnati

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There are no carbs on this bike it has fuel injection. For quick and dirty checks I'd shoot some carb cleaner into the throttle bodies with the engine off, snap the throttles open and shut several times, then shoot some in with the engine running, judiciously. Also check all the vacuum hoses for leaks or looseness. There are several sensors that need to be checked and you'll need the Clymer's book for that. Also the shop manual for the 1200SE. Clymer's for the 1200 is usually cheaper at Amazon than used ones on eBay.If the bike was running okay when storedit's most likely crud is the problem. Pulling and cleaning the injectors, sensors, cleaning connectors and checking hoses would be a good idea. I'd check the spark plugs too. Probably be a VERY good idea to change the timing belts if they've been sitting around that long. Between the shop manual and Clymers it shouldn't be too hard to check things out. If you look back in this forum, I posted a picture of the LEDcodes on the computer under the back of the seat which will also tellyou quite a bit.The shop manual is available at:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r

:waving:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

There is a service procedure for cleaning the throttle plates with carb cleaner, they ran bad if the plates got gummed up. DEFINITELY change timing belts, big BOOM coming if one breaks.:crying:Gates T-070 belts x 2.

Cincinnati? I used to live in Sharonville. Decent place fora big city. If you need a good cycle shop, see Randy at Northwest Cycle in Sharonville on Reading Road.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Change belts... MMO and ride till better......

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

There are no carbs on the SEi.. It's fuel injected... First things first,, Like everyone says, clean things out, then go for the mechanical issues.

Drain the fuel tank completely, including the lines to the pump, injectorand filter.. Replace the fuel and air filters and if there is a vapor chamber (lower rear of engine), remove and clean that too. Pick up some carburetor spray cleaner (I use Gummout) and spray the throttle plates etc to a nice shinny aluminum. With a full tank of fuel, pour in a can of Sea Foam and just take the bike out for a slow liesurely ride until the tank is near empty.. Toss in another can of Sea Foam, fill the tank and repeat until the bike runs like it's designed to...

After a few tanks full, if the problem still exists, start working on the mechanical diagnostics. Someone here will point you in the right direction for information on your specific model. I agree with the guys,, seems like dirty fuel is the culprit. Good luck...:waving:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

If the computer readout under the trunk doesn't light up and indicate a fault, then it is more then likely a fuel problem. 3 years is a long time for fuel to be left in the system without gumming problems.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks to ALL !!!!!

I cleaned out the throtle plates and put in fresh gas, oil and filter, air filter and a new rear tire. WOW!!!!!! What a cadilac!!!!! Long way from the shadow. GOD bless you all and thanks again. Bro D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.