Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Well I have a hard to describe problem with my trip computer. When I first start the bike everything works fine. After it warms up the low fuel light will come on. Then a couple of minutes after that the fuel quantity on the trip computer will show all dashes. The fuel gauge on the dash will show the correct quantity.

Now for the strange part the trip computer led's will start to "pulse" this pulsing is not dependent on the rpm. The clock will reset to flashing 1:00 and cant be reset.

When I first got the bike the trip computer was not working well at all. The led's were all washed out and hard to read. So I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and all seemed well. That is untill I actually rode it and it warmed up then the above issues poped up.

Any ideas as to what might cause this?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ok Just a little follow up. I think it is a wire harness problem. The low fuel light stays on all the time. I have checked the fuel sensor and I think it is ok. the fuel level is indicated properly on the led dash. If I disconnect the Trip computer the low fuel light goes out. I think I may have a short in a wire. This is the fun stuff with a 20+ year old bike!:dude:

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
imported post

You might want to check the connectors to the bottom of the trip computer and make sure they are not corroded and put some dielectric grease on the connectors.
suks2bu37

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I have had the computer off many times and cleaned the connectors so I think it is ok.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

I would say as the next step check the ground for the unit. It might be corroded also.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The ground wire if I am not mistaken is included in the wight connector at the bottom of the unit?

Can anyone tell me were the low fuel check relay is located. I have a picture from another member but it was from a aspy not a SEI and they appear to be different.
I think my trouble stems from there.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Here is a update. I think it is a thermal problem. If I let the bike sit in my garage were the temp gets to about 50 and if the plug to the trip computer is unplugged when I go out in the morning and plug it in.....it all works! After it has been on for a bit it starts to act up. So I let it sit and start to act up I then unplugged the Trip computer and put it in the freezer for a bit. When I took it back out and hooked it up...it all works! Strange

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it could be moist in the computer. Had a SE-i, and it would "f... with the brain", like your`s do, in heavy rain. I live in Norway, and our summers can be kinda wet... Take the sucker aparte, and let it dry out, is my guess.
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.