Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

new fuel pump an p gen runs real good for 45 mintues and fuel pump shutes down no power to pump after 45 mintues

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,324 Posts
imported post

There's been a rash of vaporlock with the injecteds lately. Is the new pump OEM or something from the auto parts store? Did you check the relay?

I think you have people confused with the two different posts. Maybe if you would PM a mod, they could delete one of them for you.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

it has a new airtex E8000 pump yes the relays has been check no problem there power to pump is lost after 45 mintues

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

You say it's a new pump and there's no power to the pump after 45 minutes, but then it cools down and has power again...

I'm assuming you say there's no power because you've hooked up a meeter to the pump leads? If not, do so, that will tell you if it's the pump or something on the way to the pump and will help greatly in the diagnosis.

Also, when it does it, check the ECU under the trunk and see if you have any error codes BEFORE YOU TURN THE KEY OFF.

If it is in fact losing power and there are no error codes, I'm leaning toward the relay. When I first got min the relay had issues with warming up and stopping, then it just failed completely one day. Either way, I know a bunch of the guys on here a super guru's who are part goldwing themselves, but they're gonna need a little more detail about what's been tested and maybe even a little history on the bike before they can be any help.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

used test light an meter no codes this bike set for one year was running great when parked have used two diff relays with same result no power to pump after 45 mintues about any time u open the gas cap any time after 30 mintues it dies

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Is there any heat damage around any of the connections to the pump or the kill switch?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

no there is not i was told that it had fuel pump shut off relay that might be bad where is it located an it builds a lot of pressure in tank

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

mine builds lots of tank pressure also, dont know why but i am guessing its the return from the fuel rail,,,,,,,, if there is one, i will know soon, gotta replace my engine

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

bob1200 wrote:
no there is not i was told that it had fuel pump shut off relay that might be bad where is it located an it builds a lot of pressure in tank
Maybe I'm misreading this, but one has nothing to do with the other.

But the fuel shut off sensor may very well beyour culprit.

There are TWO relays for the fuel system.

Fuel pump relay #5, which I believe is the one you have been replacing.

CFI relay #4, which is controlled by the shut off sensor and passes current to the fuel pump relay.

#4 is closed by the fuel shut off sensor and provides power to the fuel pump relay on the white wire. The same white wire provides power to the spark units. Since the spark unit connectors are just forward of the fuse panel, I would recommend checking for power to them on the white wire. If no power, it's possibly the sensor or the #4 CFI relay causing the problem.

Don't be side tracked by fuel tank pressure when you're losing power to the fuel pump. DIfferent and unrelated situations.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

can u tell me where the fuel shut off sensor or relay is it under the coil pack i have replacing both #4&5

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Me thinks this may be a secondary 30 amp dogbone issue.
Duplicate problem and when bike dies immediately check fuse #9 for power. If none present also check fuses #10 and #11. (Use testlight for this rather than multimeter.) If power at all 3 of these fuses disappear then you likley have a hairline cracked or disintegrated secondary main dogbone fuse.
Could be the fuel shut off sensor as well but the dogbone is easier to check...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Verify spark when you pump quits. Since you state bike attempts to fire spraying wd40 into intake I'm assuming you have spark. Since the spark units derive power from the white wire (wire #13 at C1) as GL Honda suggested checking,likely your problem is not CFI relay (#4) or the fuel pump shut-off sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

what about power to air valve when pump power loss occurs?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

If you have power to the coils, then you most likely have power through the CFI relay, which means your fuel shut off sensor is working correctly.

The fuel pump relay receives its ground from the ECU. It is an isolated circuit. No other wires tap from this wire. So this is probably NOT what you want to hear.

Pin #32 at the ECU should be a Br/Bl wire. This is the wire the ECU grounds for the relay. Back probe the connector with a pin and provide a ground on that wire to see if the fuel pump will run. BE VERY CAREFUL that you have the correct wire, or you may let the smoke out of the magic box. Unfortunately, if the pump runs, you need a new ECU anyway.

Good luck, and BE CAREFUL.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.