Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

Can someone with a 1985 LTD or 1986 SEI tell me if I have the right plug here for the TPS sensor. I am trying to see if it is bad but since the manual is not very good at depicting the wiring I am not sure I have the right one.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Can't help you. maybe some SEI owners will be by soon.. and exavid usually can contribute to SEI topics.. hoping on this one, too..

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks,

The manual also states to test voltage sweep you need to install the inspection adapter. It looks like a patch cable that lets you have the plug connected and still test the voltage. I do not have one so I am tempted to just prick the wires however I do not want to have a small hole in the wires to let in moisture.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok I did a little research and yes that is the TPS plug. I made a wire harness out of speaker wire so I could test the voltage and also the sweep. The input voltage was a little high (5.49) but the sweep was smooth. I used a anolog meter and moved the throttle as slow as I could and it seemed very smooth. Then I cleened the throttle plates and next is the timing and sync the throttle plates. As of now it still wont idle and has a hesitation in first.

Enclosed is a pic of the wire harness I made thanks to others on this forum for the idea.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry I can't help you with your current problem, but I have some advise for you on another topic. Check the connection of the two yellow wires in the plug visible at the bottom of your photos. These are wires that connect your stator to the rectifier/regulator. These wires look like they are getting hot due to increased resistance. If they are, by pass the plug by soldering the wires together. (According to other forum posts, the wires can be interchanged.) Also, do the same to the three yellow wire plug found directly in front of your battery. There is not enough wire to solder the wires together, so a jumper wire will need to be used on each to give you enough length. Be sure your solder joints are good because cold solder joints ill cause resistance too. The resistence in these connections get hot as they age and resistence increases. If unchecked, they will eventually melt the plastic connector and may touch ground. If that happens your stator shorts and you have major problems. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the tip Coastn! I will check those out.

I have already done the fix on the three yellow wires by the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.