Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1987 Aspencade Starter Clutch?

685 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TJ859 
#1 ·
I have what I believe is a starter clutch problem but need to make sure before I go deep into repair mode.The symtems for some time now off and on when I go to start the bike a sound like somthing not meshing and then a loud crunch and the engine stops turning over some time it would start on the first try but more and more it would take multiple tries always the same God awful crunch now nothing will not turn over.How doI determine if it is the starter clutch? Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
The spin and "crunch" you describe is the overrunning clutch in the back of the engine. Parts are no longer available to rebuild the one way clutch, (you can get rollers and springs, but that's only half of it). So you'll need to find good used parts.
If the starter is longer spinning, you have a different problem.
Does it still spin, without turning the engine? Or does it not spin at all?

#6 ·
Before I pulled out the wrenches, I'd put 3-4 ounces of Seafoam, Startron, or Amsoil Motor Flush in that puppy, go for a nice 100 mile ride and then change the oil and filter.
I did the above before switching to Amsoil in my '85, and my Rotella T6 synthetic with about 3,000 miles on it went from clear before the ride to pitch black and noticeably thicker when I drained it after the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.