Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
crankshaft seal

from the pics, your (discontinued by Honda) crank seal was leaking...
there is one, & only one on E Bay right now, PN# 91201-MG9-005,
you'll need it sooner or later, better scoop it up now!
:|

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Thank you Carshando and I did go buy that seal.

Just to update, I used the impact to tighten the crank bolt, used a little lower air pressure and just bumped the gun but it got it tight.

Changed out the seal, when I tapped the new one in it seems it was sticking out a little. By that I mean maybe a 1/32' or smaller. After tapping it several times I just stopped since I didn't want to screw up the seal. I did go loosen up the cam rocker bolt but that didn't help. The tapping was solid so I felt it was fully inserted, maybe it was my imagination.

Found some Gates belts for $10 (for 2) and used them. Also changed the plugs. Antifreeze needs to be silicate free so found some of that. I used the old belt cover gaskets which I had to trim since they grew by about 3 inches.

Bike runs good, starts easier, idles better, seems like it has a tad bit more power.

So far no leaks but I only got to drive it for 2 days and now it sounds like the rear break is metal on metal so I had to put it up until I can check that out.

Changed out the seal, when I tapped the new one in it seems it was sticking out a little. By that I mean maybe a 1/32' or smaller. After tapping it several times I just stopped since I didn't want to screw up the seal. I did go loosen up the cam rocker bolt but that didn't help. The tapping was solid so I felt it was fully inserted, maybe it was my imagination.
How did you get the seal and install it in a day? Are you magic?

Just to update, I used the impact to tighten the crank bolt, used a little lower air pressure and just bumped the gun but it got it tight.

Found some Gates belts for $10 (for 2) and used them. Also changed the plugs. Antifreeze needs to be silicate free so found some of that. I used the old belt cover gaskets which I had to trim since they grew by about 3 inches.

Bike runs good, starts easier, idles better, seems like it has a tad bit more power.

So far no leaks but I only got to drive it for 2 days and now it sounds like the rear break is metal on metal so I had to put it up until I can check that out.
Loosening the cam rocker bolts has nothing to do with the crank seal. Hope those were not used belts you got for $10. Was it out of time? Belts wouldn't make it run better if it wasn't.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.